to be included in all the backround docs - and written to work for versions 1.5 and 1.6
There are four aspects to designing a new Joomla! web site. These also apply to planning to make alterations to an existing site or planning for transferring a site that already exists into Joomla!
- The content hierarchy:
- Sections, Categories and Articles for
- Categories, Subcategories and Articles for
- Who you expect to use the site and what you want them to be able to do
- The layout of the menus and the position of some functionality on the page
- The graphical design of the whole site
These should all be based on the purpose and expected content of the site, so you do need a clear idea of what you are trying to communicate and plan accordingly. Easier said than done!