"In software engineering, a project fork happens when developers take a legal copy of source code from one software package and start independent development on it, creating a distinct piece of software."
We support the original project developer whenever possible to maintain the integrity of the listings and also support developers who are building and innovating on the Joomla platform.
To have a forked project listed in the JED it must meet additional requirements over original extension:
An extension that is derived from another extension will only be listed under the following conditions
- License permission: the original extension license allows this or the current developer of the original extension has specifically authorized it if the license does not.
- Separated project: it is very clear that this is a separate project (e.g. extension is renamed and have a new version scheme).
- Intent to develop and support: forked project must exhibit an intent to develop and support the new product.
Forked project must respect copyright law
- Acknowledgment: the original copyright holder must be noted in the code files based on the original
- The XML installer file must include a comment on the original extension name
Its considered a good practice to provide a link to the original extension URL
Forked extension name
The extension name needs to be changed so it is very clear that this is a separate project
- New name: the forked extension cannot include the original name
- We do not allow forked projects by new developers to build on the name of the original developer without permission.
- Separated paths: development of the extension follows it's own path, and will not be based on the original extension updates after listing.
- Unique version structure: version numbering must clearly indicate a new project.
Protection of the original listing
If the original extension is listed on the Joomla! Extensions Directory:
- Time protection: the fork will only be considered for listing if the original extension has been listed for more than 3 months The fork will only be considered for listing if the original extension has been listed for more than 3 months.
- Significant change: forked project must represent a significant code improvement, either in features or security and structure.
- The amount of functionality to be added is determined on a case by case basis and is at the sole discretion of the Joomla! Extensions Directory team and Open Source Matters.
Its considered a good practice to link to the original extension in the JED description
- ↑ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fork_(software_development)