How To Access
To create a new Search Results Menu Item:
- Select Menus → [name of the menu] from the drop-down menu on the back-end of your Joomla! installation (for example, Menus → Main Menu).
- Click the New Toolbar button to create a new menu item.
- Click the Menu Item Type Select button and then click the Search Results Menu Item link under Search.
To edit an existing Search Results Menu Item, click its Title in Menu Manager: Menu Items.
Used to create a 'Search Form' page for users to search site's content. Additional, used to control output look of search results or 'can' the results of a search with a menu link for preset search term or terms.
For more information please see Menu Item Manager: Details Tab
- Menu Title. The title that will display for this menu item.
- Menu Location. The menu that this menu item (choice) will be part of. The menus defined for the site will show in the list box.
- Search Term. Optional, used to set a 'canned' search word, words or phrase when Menu Item Search Results is clicked.
- See Quick Tips for more details.
- Use Search Areas. (Global/Show/Hide) Check boxes for search area types: Articles, Categories, Contacts, Newsfeeds, or Weblinks.
- Created Date. Date the item(Article, Category, Weblink, etc.) was created.
- Search for. (All Words/Any Words/Exact Phrase) Set the type of search. Search for All Words, Any Words or Exact Phrase.
- Results ordering. Set the search results ordering.
- Newest. Show newest item first.
- Oldest. Show oldest item first.
- Popularity. Show by popularity of item, number of page hits.
- Alphabetical. Show in alphabetical order.
- Category. Show in category order.
See Menu Item Manager: Edit/New Menu Item for help on fields common to all Menu Item types, under the Advanced Details Tab which includes:
Module Assignments Tab
See Menu Item Manager: New Menu Item for help on fields in Module Assignments for this Menu Item.
At the top left you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- Save. Saves the menu item and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the menu item and closes the current screen.
- Save & New. Saves the menu item and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another menu item.
- Cancel/Close. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
Front End Screenshot
- Example Front End Site images are generic images using Joomla! core installation supplied free Front End Templates. The actual view can depend on the installed custom template used and the template's style for those views on a Joomla! website.
Search form shown:
Search results shown:
- Canning Search Results. To 'can' search results (force a desired search term), use the Search Term optional setting. This optional field will force a search term or terms into the search field when a user clicks on a Menu 'Link' to a 'Search Results' Menu Item. For example, a user clicks a Menu Item called, 'More Joomla! Articles'. The search term field could contain the word, Joomla!. The filled optional field would show the search component page with the word Joomla! pre-filled in the search field and showing the results of 'Joomla!' searched on the website.