Update and Migration Working Group
The Update and Migration Working Group is a Production Working Group.
Dealing with updates and migration should be a part of every Working Group that makes changes that break backward compatibility, but we need a group that can make sure that the software and tools are ready to migrate from 2.5 to 3.x. as seamlessly as possible.
Coordinators & PLT Contact
The PLT Contact for this group is Mark Dexter. The Working Group Contact for this group is Robert Jacobi.
The Update and Migration Working Group met at J and Beyond 2012, Saturday May 19, 09:15-10:15 (GMT+1). A recap of the one hour session includes:
- Joomla 1.5 to 2.5 migration is a critical remaining issue
- Joomla 2.5 migration is a critical path
- Joomla 2.5 is a long term support (LTS) release
- Joomla 2.5 to 3.x is an update rather than migration
- Migration needs an extensible plugin architecture for extensions
Action items include:
- Create a Joomla branch in GITHUB utilizing Ian MacLennon's onward component
- Review existing branch for needs and functionality
- Draft requirements
- Utilize GITHUB for ongoing discussion