Search Engine Optimisation is the process of improving a wide range of features on a web-based resource, with the intention of improving the position in which it ranks in search engines for specified keywords.
The process of optimising a website is multi-faceted, as there are many factors which affect where a page might rank in a search engine. Some of the areas which may be focused on could include:
- Ensuring that the website is hosted on a server in the appropriate location
- Ensuring that the website is responsive, and can deal with the traffic it receives
- Improving the quality of the content within a website
- Identifying core keywords relating to the website and ensuring the structure of the site reflects these keywords
- Enabling Search Engine Friendly URLs to make the web address of pages 'human readable'
- Ensuring that content has appropriate structure using Semantic HTML
- Adding contextual Semantic Markup using Microdata