The standard editors available in
The default editor for both front-end and back-end users in Joomla! is the TinyMCE editor.
TinyMCE is a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editor that allows users a familiar word-processing interface to use when editing Articles and other content. The 3-row toolbar below provides many standard editing commands:
- Top Row.
- Buttons in the upper left allow you to make text bold, italic, underlined, or strikethrough. Next to that are buttons for align left, right, center, and full.
- Styles. Caption and System Pagebreak styles can be set. Highlight the desired text and select the style. This will allow this text to be formatted based on CSS rules.
- Format. Select pre-defined formats for Paragraph, Address, Heading1, and so on.
- Font Family. Select the desired font.
- Second Row.
- Unordered List, Ordered list, Outdent (move left) and Indent (indent right).
- Undo (Ctrl+Z) and Re-do (Ctrl+Y).
- Insert/Edit Link. To insert or edit a link, select the linked text and press this button. A popup dialog displays that lets you enter details about the link.
- Unlink. To remove a link, highlight the linked text and press this button.
- Insert/Edit Anchor. An anchor is a bookmark inside an article that lets you link directly to that point in the article. To insert an anchor, move the cursor to the desired location within the article and click this button. A window will display. Enter the name of the Anchor and press Insert. A small anchor icon will show in the location of the anchor. You can edit the name of the anchor by clicking on it and pressing this button. You can delete the anchor just by selecting it and pressing the Delete key.
- Insert/Edit Image. To insert and image, place the cursor in the desired location and press this button. A popup dialog displays that lets you enter in the Image URL and other information about how the image will display.
- Cleanup Messy Code. This button allows you to clean up HTML code, perhaps from HTML text that you copied in from another source.
- Edit HTML Source. A popup displays showing the HTML source code, allowing you to edit the HTML source code.
- Find and Find/Replace.
- Insert Date, Time, or Emotions.
- Insert Embedded Media. To insert embedded media (such as Flash), place the cursor at the desired location and press this button. A popup dialog will display that allows you to enter the Type, File or URL, and other information about the media.
- Direction Left to Right and Direction Right to Left. These buttons allow you to enter or change the text direction, for example for languages that read right to left.
- Insert New Layer, Move Forward, Move Backware, Toggle Absolute Position. For working with layered items.
- Select Text Color.
- Third Row.
- Insert Horizontal Ruler.
- Remove Formatting.
- Toggle Guidelines/Invisible elements.
- Subscript, Superscript, Insert Custom Character, Horizontal Rule.
- Insert New Table, Table Row Properties, Table Cell Properties, Insert Row Before, Insert Row After, Delete Row, Insert Column Before, Insert Column After, Delete Column, Split Merged Table Cells, Merge Table Cells.
- Toggle Full Screen Mode.
- Edit CSS Style. A popup dialog box displays that allows you to enter CSS style information for the selected text.
If 'No editor' is selected for a User, then a simple text editor displays. This allows you to enter in raw, unformatted HTML. You can use the toolbar 'Preview' button to preview how the HTML will display.
Note that the 'No Editor' option can be useful if you are entering in 'boilerplate' or custom HTML, for example to create a PayPal link. TinyMCE automatically re-formats and strips some HTML when a file is saved. This can cause complex HTML to not work correctly.
If this happens, you can temporarily change the editor to 'No Editor' and create the desired content. Note that if you wish to edit this content in the future, you should be careful to change your editor to 'No Editor'. Otherwise, if you open and save the content with TinyMCE, you may lose your custom HTML.