J1.5:Customising the JA Purity template
|This article or section is in the process of an expansion or major restructuring. You are welcome to assist in its construction by editing it as well. If this article or section
has not been edited in several days, please remove this template.|
JA Purity is a highly customizable template available by default in the standard Joomla 1.5 installation. JA Purity was designed by JoomlArt.com and features the following:
- Screen width configuration (Fluid / Narrow / Wide-screen / Fixed in pixel or percentage)
- Multiple colors schemes (Red, Green, Blue and Black)
- Well Structured, xHTML/CSS validated and SEO-optimized source
- Cross-browser support for Internet Explorer 6+, Firefox, Safari, and Opera
If you have a support question about the JA Purity template check for a solution on the following forum.
Before You Start
Before you start hacking away at the JA_Purity template you may want to do ONE of the following:
- Create a directory templates/my_japurity. Copy the contents of the original ja_purity directory to the my_japurity directory. Go to the administrator/language/en-GB directory and copy en-GB.tpl_ja_purity.ini to en-GB.tpl_my_japurity.ini. Do the same in the language/en-GB directory. Open the templateDetails.xml file in the my_japurity directory and change ALL references for the original ja_purity directory to the new directory my_japurity.
<param name="theme_header" type="folderlist" directory="templates/ja_purity/styles/header" default="" label="Header Themes" description="HEADER THEMES DESCRIPTION" />
<param name="theme_background" type="folderlist" directory="templates/ja_purity/styles/background" default="" label="Background Themes" description="BACKGROUND THEMES DESCRIPTION" />
<param name="theme_elements" type="folderlist" directory="templates/ja_purity/styles/elements" default="" label="Primary Elements" description="PRIMARY ELEMENTS DESCRIPTION" />
- Download the tutorial template. Once you download the archive, rename it as my_japurity.zip and then log into the Administration area of your Joomla site and install the template.
This will save you from worrying about any updates to the Joomla source that might overwrite your existing edits. This tutorial is based on the latest template version as of Joomla version 1.5.11.
Here's the directory structure for the template. Click to see a description of the directory contents (if available)
Click on the picture to see the descriptions (if available)
Customisation - Basics
Customise Module Position and Content
Customise the Logo
Customise the Header
Customise the Favicon
Customisation - Intermediate
Customisation - Advanced
Known Issues and Bugs
- IE8 Compatibility - SEE: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=541&t=393631&p=1709079&hilit=ie8#p1709079
- Active Menu item not updating. SEE: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=466&t=396625
- PROBLEM: When Joomla cache is enabled reference Joomla 1.5.10 and before) and clicking a menu item it doesn't change color. It is impossible to understand which is the active menu item. SOLUTION: for now the only solution is to disable the cache function in the mod_mainmenu: go to 'Tools>Module Manager' and select the 'Main Menu' module (type=mod_mainmenu). Under 'Parameters>Advanced Parameters' select 'Caching>No Caching'. SEE: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=541&t=378584