Creating Dynamic Menus (ex: Left Nav based on Horizongal Nav) in Joomla.
Example: You have a products link on the Horizontal Navigation (Main Navigation) and you want to have a dynamic Left Navigation (Left Nav) to appear with all the Products that you offer.
- Goto Article Manager
- Create article for your main Prodcuts page and one article each for your products. Example: Product-1, Product-2, Product-3 Step:2
- Go to Menu Manager
- Create a Menu Item called "Products" on your Horizontal Navigation Menu (or whatever your sites main navingation menu is) and link it with your main products page
Example: Your menu is called "Main" in the menu manager and you have "Home", "Products", "Services" etc.. under the Main Menu and this is displayed as "HorNav"
- Create a new Menu called "Products". (This is a new menu not a menu item)
- Create Menu Items for each product "Product-1", "Product-2", "Product-3" under the "Products" Menu Step:3
- Go to Module Manager
- Create a new module, Select "menu" and name it as "Products"
- Under Module Parameters, select Menu Name as "Products"
- Under the Menu Assignment Select the radio button "Select Menu Item(s) from the List". Choose the following items (this means you are restricting that this module 1) "Main" Menu => "Products" Menu Item link 2) "Products" Menu => Select all the products (Product-1, Product-2 and Product-3) in our example
- Save it and You are all set to have a beutiful dynamic Products menu However: If you add a new Product let's say "Product-4" , You ned to goto the Module Manager again and select that item as well, so that all products are displayed when you click on "product-4" link. This has to be done everytime you add a new product You can do the same for your Services and many more...