We support the original project developer whenever possible to maintain the integrity of the listings and also support developers who are building and innovating on the Joomla platform.
To have a forked project listed in the JED it must meet additional requirements over original extension:
An extension that is derived from another extension will only be listed under the following conditions
- License permission: the original extension license allows this or the current developer of the original extension has specifically authorized it if the license does not.
- Separated project: it is very clear that this is a separate project (e.g. extension is renamed and have a new version scheme).
- Intent to develop and support: forked project must exhibit an intent to develop and support the new product.
Forked project must respect copyright law
- Acknowledgment: the original copyright holder must be noted in the code files based on the original
- The XML installer file must include a comment on the original extension name
Its considered a good practice to provide a link to the original extension URL
Forked extension name
The extension name needs to be changed so it is very clear that this is a separate project
- New name: the forked extension cannot include the original name
- We do not allow forked projects by new developers to build on the name of the original developer without permission.
- Separated paths: development of the extension follows it's own path, and will not be based on the original extension updates after listing.
- Unique version structure: version numbering must clearly indicate a new project.
Protection of the original listing
If the original extension is listed on the Joomla! Extensions Directory:
- Time protection: the fork will only be considered for listing if the original extension has been listed for more than 3 months The fork will only be considered for listing if the original extension has been listed for more than 3 months.
- Significant change: forked project must represent a significant code improvement, either in features or security and structure.
- The amount of functionality to be added is determined on a case by case basis and is at the sole discretion of the Joomla! Extensions Directory team and Open Source Matters.
Its considered a good practice to link to the original extension in the JED description