Hands-on adding a new article: Joomla! 1.5
The aim of this document is to work through, hands-on, creating a new article using the Front-end of the Joomla! web site.
Who is it written for?
You also need:
- access to a Joomla! site
- to be logged in with a username with an appropriate level of permission
Starting a new article
You can easily start a new article for yourself although exactly how you do this depends on how the Web site you use is set up.
- Many sites have a USER MENU with several options about things users might want to do. (It is not always called a USER MENU - it depends on the site!). One of the common options is to Submit an Article (Sometimes called Create an Article). If this option is available - use it:-
- Find the USER MENU
- Click on Submit an Article
- Sometimes the site has been set up to show a small icon that looks like a sheet of paper at the bottom of many of the list pages. (This icon does not appear on pages with just one article - it does appear on pages where there is a list of articles.)
The editing screen (called Submit an Article) is loaded. This is the same editor as used for editing Articles, except that it has no content and no title.
- Type in a title in the title box
- Type in some text - or copy text from another document
Saving your work
Before saving a new article for the first time, you need to enter some information in the Publishing section of the editor, including whether it is published and where it is to be located.
Where will the Article be located?
- You need to know where the new Article is to be located
- This depends on the organisation of the Web site. If you are using an existing site, you need to be told which Section and Category it will be assigned to. Or it may be uncategorised, but you need to know that this is the case.
- You will also need to know which menu it will be located under. Again this information varies with the way the Menus are set up and the layout of the Site.
- If you are a Publisher, type a few lines and then go to the Publishing part of the editor and Save it. You will then be able to continue editing.
- If you are an Author it is worth typing quite a bit of content at this stage before adding the details in the Publishing part of the editor. This is because you will not be able to return to editing until it has been published.
- If you are an Editor, you can continue to edit the article after it has been saved, even when it is not published.
The Publishing part of the editor
- Scroll down to the Publishing section.
You must make a number of choices about where the new Article will be located and who will be able to read it.
Getting the Section and Category correct usually means that it will display in the right place. The choice of Section and Category will depend on those available on the site you are using.
- Section: choose from the pull-down list
- Category: the choices depend on the Section chosen
- Published: Leave this as Yes. This choice is not available if you are an Author
- Front Page: leave this as No. The exception would be if you are writing an Article for the Front page which is in 'Blog' layout format.
- Access Level: choose the appropriate one for your site.
- Save the article
- Click on the Save icon
This saves the Article in Joomla! and returns you to where you started (not to the editor).
If you are an Editor or a Publisher - you should now be able to find the article in the place you expect!
- Next time you save it, you will not have to fill out the Publisher part of the editor again.
Depends on your role.
More editing -
Setting up a site -
--Lorna Scammell December 2010