This article or section is in the process of an expansion or major restructuring. You are welcome to assist in its construction by editing it as well. If this article or section has not been edited in several days, please remove this template.
This article was last edited by Dextercowley (talk| contribs) 5 years ago. (Purge)
How to Access
From the Banner Manger, click on the Banner Name or check the Banner's checkbox and press the Edit icon in the toolbar.
This is where you add a new Banner or edit an existing one. Note that you will need to create at least 1 Banner Client and 1 Banner Category before you can create your first Banner.
- Name. The name of the Banner. This is the name that will display in the Name column of the Banner Manager.
- Alias. The internal name of the item. Normally, you can leave this blank and Joomla! will fill in a default value. The default value is the Title or Name in lower case and with dashes instead of spaces. You may enter the Alias manually. The Alias should consist of lowercase letters and hyphens (-). No blank spaces or underscores are allowed. The Alias will be used in the URL when SEF is activated. Note: If the title consists of non-Latin characters, the Alias will default to the current date and time, for example "2009-02-11-17-54-38".
- Sticky. Whether or not the Banner is "sticky". If one or more Banners in a Category are designated "sticky," they will take priority over Banners that are not sticky. For example, if two Banners in a Category are sticky and a third Banner is not sticky, the third Banner will not display if the Banner display module setting is "Sticky, Randomize" or "Sticky, Order." Only the two sticky Banners will display. If the sticky banners have a fixed number of impressions, once those impressions are used up, the sticky banners will no longer display, and the non-sticky banners will begin displaying automatically.
- Order. The display order of the Banner. If your Banner module is set up to display a series of Banners in order, this will determine the order of display.
- Category. The Category that this Banner belongs to. Note that Banner Categories are separate from other Categories, such as for Articles, Contacts, Newsfeeds, and Web Links.
- Impressions Purchased. The number of Impressions purchased for this Banner. An Impression is how many times a Banner has been displayed on a page. Check the 'Unlimited' checkbox if an unlimited number of Impressions is allowed.
- Clicks. Displays the number of times this Banner has been clicked. This number may not be entered. You can reset this number to 0 by pressing the 'Reset Clicks' button.
- Custom Banner Code. Optional custom code for this Banner. Custom code is ??? and can be used for ???.
- Description/Notes. Optional field where you can enter in a description or notes about the Banner. This does not display on the page.
- Banner Image Selector. Image file to display. Select the desired image file from the drop-down list box. All image files in the 'images/banners' folder will display. Use the Media Manager to upload Banner image files to your site.
- Banner Image. Displays the selected image file.
- Tags. Optional Tags to be used for displaying specific Banners based on the content of the Article being viewed. If the Banner module Parameter 'Search By Tag' is set to 'Yes', Banners whose Tags match the Keywords entered for each Article will display when that Article is being viewed.
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
- Save. Save it and return to editing the menu details.
- Apply. Save it, but stay in the same screen. If you have been working on a screen for a long time and don't want to risk losing your work, pressing Apply saves your work and lets you continue working. If, for example, you lost your Internet connection, your work will be saved up this point.
- Cancel. Go back to the main screen of the Manager, without saving the modifications you made.
- Help. Opens this Help Screen.
- Banners are placed on specific pages by adding Modules of type 'mod_banners' using the Module Manager.
- If you have a series of Banners that you would like to display on one more more pages in random order:
- Create these Banners with the same Client and Category.
- Create a Banner Module for this Client and Category, and in the Menu Assignment pick the Menu Selections for the module to display on.
- In the Banner Module, set the 'Randomise' value to 'Sticky, Randomise'.
- With these settings, the different Banners for that Client and Category will display on the selected pages in random order.