This article or section is in the process of an expansion or major restructuring. You are welcome to assist in its construction by editing it as well. If this article or section has not been edited in several days, please remove this template.
This article was last edited by Dextercowley (talk| contribs) 5 years ago. (Purge)
How to Access
You can access the Article:[New] page either by pressing the 'Add New Article' button on the Control Panel or by clicking the 'New' button on the Article Manager.
You can access the Article:[Edit] page from the Article Manager either by clicking on an Article's Title or by clicking the Article's check box and then clicking the 'Edit' button.
This is the back-end screen where you can add and edit Articles. The same screen is used for adding a new Article and editing an existing Article. You also select the Section and Category for an Article and indicate whether or not it has a Published state or is selected for the Front Page.
The Article's content is edited using the default editor selected in the User Manager - New/Edit. The Joomla! default editor is TinyMCE.
A number of Parameters can be set for the Article. Metadata Information can also be entered.
Enter the heading information for the Article, as shown below:
- Title. The Title for this item. This may or may not display on the page, depending on the parameter values you choose.
- Published. Whether or not this item is published. Select Yes or No from the radio button group to set the Published state for this item.
- Alias. The internal name of the item. Normally, you can leave this blank and Joomla! will fill in a default value. The default value is the Title or Name in lower case and with dashes instead of spaces. You may enter the Alias manually. The Alias should consist of lowercase letters and hyphens (-). No blank spaces or underscores are allowed. The Alias will be used in the URL when SEF is activated. Note: If the title consists of non-Latin characters, the Alias will default to the current date and time, for example "2009-02-11-17-54-38".
- Front Page. Select No or Yes from the radio button group to indicate whether this Article will show on the Front Page.
- Section. Select the Section for this Article from the drop-down list box. Note that you can select 'Uncategorized' if you do not want this Article associated with a Section or Category. This can be used for Articles that are displayed in an Article Layout as static content.
- Category. Select the Category for this Article from the drop-down list box. If you selected 'Uncategorized' for the Section, the Category will automatically be 'Uncategorized'.
On the right side of the header area, information about the Article is displayed, as shown below:
The only entry allowed in this area is the Reset button. Pressing this button changes the Hits to 0.
Editor - TinyMCE
The default editor for both front-end and back-end users in Joomla! is the TinyMCE editor. This is a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editor that allows users a familiar word-processing interface to use when editing.
TinyMCE provides a 3-row toolbar as shown below:
- Top Row.
- Buttons in the upper left allow you to make text bold, italic, underlined, or strikethrough. Next to that are buttons for align left, right, center, and full.
- Styles. Caption and System Pagebreak styles can be set. Highlight the desired text and select the style. This will allow this text to be formatted based on CSS rules.
- Format. Select pre-defined formats for Paragraph, Address, Heading1, and so on.
- Font Family. Select the desired font.
- Second Row.
- Unordered List, Ordered list, Outdent (move left) and Indent (indent right).
- Undo (Ctrl+Z) and Re-do (Ctrl+Y).
- Insert/Edit Link. To insert or edit a link, select the linked text and press this button. A popup dialog displays that lets you enter details about the link.
- Unlink. To remove a link, highlight the linked text and press this button.
- Insert/Edit Image. To insert and image, place the cursor in the desired location and press this button. A popup dialog displays that lets you enter in the Image URL and other information about how the image will display.
- Cleanup Messy Code. This button allows you to clean up HTML code, perhaps from HTML text that you copied in from another source.
- Edit HTML Source. A popup displays showing the HTML source code, allowing you to edit the HTML source code.
- Find and Find/Replace.
- Insert Date, Time, or Emotions.
- Insert Embedded Media. To insert embedded media (such as Flash), place the cursor at the desired location and press this button. A popup dialog will display that allows you to enter the Type, File or URL, and other information about the media.
- Direction Left to Right and Direction Right to Left. These buttons allow you to enter or change the text direction, for example for languages that read right to left.
- Insert New Layer, Move Forward, Move Backware, Toggle Absolute Position. For working with layered items.
- Select Text Color.
- Third Row.
- Insert Horizontal Ruler.
- Remove Formatting.
- Toggle Guidelines/Invisible elements.
- Subscript, Superscript, Insert Custom Character, Horizontal Rule.
- Insert New Table, Table Row Properties, Table Cell Properties, Insert Row Before, Insert Row After, Delete Row, Insert Column Before, Insert Column After, Delete Column, Split Merged Table Cells, Merge Table Cells.
- Toggle Full Screen Mode.
- Edit CSS Style. A popup dialog box displays that allows you to enter CSS style information for the selected text.
Editor - No Editor
Parameters - Article
Parameters - Advanced
Describe other screens that rely on the presence of this function or that this function relies upon, in order to work correctly for example: a Category depends upon the presence of a Section (up) and it must be in place before a Categorised Article (down) can be created. If there are no Dependencies either up or down for the particular screen just state None but do include the section. Use paragraph format type and do not add extra white space. Ensure that you use the correct styles for inline emphasis and notices. It will probably be sufficient to just list these and provide links to the Help Screens relating to the dependency.
Please remove this placeholder as soon as you start entering text here.