|This article or section is in the process of an expansion or major restructuring. You are welcome to assist in its construction by editing it as well. If this article or section
has not been edited in several days, please remove this template.|
How to Access
Click on the Front Page Manager in the Control Panel, or click on 'Front Page Manager' in the 'Content' menu on the back-end of your Joomla! installation.
The Front Page Manager is the place where you control which Articles are displayed on the Front Page and in what order they are displayed. The Front Page is often the Home page of a web site, but it can be any page in the site. The Front Page is created using a Menu Item with the Front Page layout.
Click on the column heading to sort the list by that column's value.
- #. An indexing number automatically assigned by Joomla! for ease of reference.
- Checkbox. Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing.
- Title. The name of the item. For a Menu Item, the Title will display in the Menu. For an Article, Section, or Category, the Title may optionally be displayed on the web page. This entry is required. You can open the item for editing by clicking on the Title.
- Published. Whether the item has been published or not. You can change the Published state by clicking on the icon in this column.
- Front Page. Whether or not the Article will show on the Front Page. You can change an Article's published state by clicking on the icon in the column.
- Order. The order to display items. If the list is sorted by this column, you can change the order by clicking the arrows or by entering the sequential order and clicking 'Save Order'.
- Access Level. Who has access to this item. Current options are:
- Public: Everyone has access
- Registered: Only registered users have access
- Special: Only users with author status or higher have access
- You can change an item's Access Level by clicking on the icon in the column.
- Section. The Section this item belongs to. Clicking on the Section Title opens the Section for editing. See Section Manager - Edit.
- Category. The Category this item belongs to. Clicking on the Category title opens the Category for editing. See Category Manager - Edit.
- Author. Name of the Joomla! User who created this item. Clicking on the Author opens the User for editing. See User Manager - Edit.
- Date. The date this Article was created. This date is added automatically by Joomla!, but you may change it in the Parameters - Article section of the Article Manager - New/Edit.
- Hits. The number of hits for an Article. A hit is the number of times a page has been viewed. Hits can be reset to 0 in the Article Manager - New/Edit screen.
- ID. The ID number. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, for example in internal links. You can not change this number.
- Display #. The number of items to display on one page. If there are more items than this number, you can use the page navigation buttons (Start, Prev, Next, End, and page numbers) to navigate between pages. Note that if you have a large number of items, it may be helpful to use the Filter options, located above the column headings, to limit which items display (where applicable).
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
File:Front page manager toolbar.png The functions are:
- Unarchive. To remove one or more Articles from Archived status, select them and press this button. Archived Articles are retained on the site and are available for viewing on Menu Items with a Type of Archive Layout. Note that when an Article is unarchived, its status is changed to 'Not Published'. Also, if an Article does not have a status of 'Archived', this button has no effect.
- Archive. To change one or more Articles to Archived status, select them and press this button. Archived Articles are retained on the site and are available for viewing on Menu Items with a Type of Archive Layout. They can not be published to other pages while set to Archived status. Note that Articles assigned to the "Uncategorized" Section will not show on the Archived Article List layout.
- Publish. To publish one or more items, select them and click on this button.
- Unpublish. To unpublish one or more items, select them and click on this button.
- Move. Select one or more items and click on this button to move them. A new screen will display showing the possible "Move to" locations on the left and the list of item(s) being moved on the right. To complete the move, select the desired "Move to" location and press the "Save" button. To cancel the operation, press "Cancel".
- Copy. Select one or more items and click this button to copy them. A new screen will display showing the possible "Copy to" locations on the left and the list of item(s) being copied on the right. To complete the copy, select the desired "Copy to" location and press the Copy button. To cancel the operation, press Cancel.
- Trash. Select one or more Articles and click on this button to move them to the Trash Manager. Note that Articles can be restored from the Trash Manager as long as they are not permanently deleted. See Trash Manager for more information.
- Edit. Select one item and click on this button to open it in edit mode. If you have more than one item selected (where applicable), the first item will be opened. You can also open an item for editing by clicking on its Title or Name.
- New. Click on this button to create a new item. You will enter the New page for this item.
Filter by Partial Title
You can filter the list of items either by entering in part of the title or the ID number. Or you can select a combination of Section, Category, Author, and Published State.
- Filter. In the upper left corner just above the column headings is a Filter field and two buttons, as shown below:
Filter by Section, Category, Author, Published StateIn the upper right area, above the column headings, are 4 drop-down list boxes as shown below:
- Select Section. Use the drop-down list box to select the desired Section. Only items in this Section will display. You may also select 'Uncategorized'.
- Select Category. Use the drop-down list box to select the desired Category. Only items in this Category will display.
- Select Author. Use the drop-down list box to select the desired Author. Only Articles with this Author will display.
- Select Status. Use the drop-down list box to select the published state: Published, Unpublished, Trashed, or All. For Articles, you may also select Archived. Important: With the default setting of -Select Status-, the screen only shows Published and Unpublished items. If you have the filter set to -Select Status- and you change items to Trashed, the Trashed items will disappear from the screen. However, they have not been permanently deleted. To do that you need to:
- Change the filter to Trashed. The Delete icon will now show in the toolbar.
- Select the items you want to permanently delete.
- Click on the Delete icon.
- You can see all items, regardless of their published state, by selecting All for this filter. You can also re-publish Trashed items by selecting them and clicking on the Publish icon in the toolbar.
The number of the items listed here depends on two things. The article should be set to display on the front page in the Article Manager or in the Article [Edit] screen. The values of the # Leading and # Intro basic parameters of the Home menu item control the amount of the articles published here.