How to access
You can access the Media Manager through the Control Panel, or by going to Site > Media Manager.
The Media Manager is a very useful for uploading or deleting files in the <joomlaroot>/images/ directory on your web server. You can upload new files, delete existing ones, and create sub-directories. The Media Manager offers two views, thumbnails, and details view. The first will show a much smaller version of the original file (assuming that is an image), the second (details) will show the file name, dimensions, and file size. There is also a handy 'delete' button next to each file.
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- Delete. To delete one or more items, select them and click this button. The selected items will be deleted. Note: only empty items can be deleted.
- Help. Opens this Help Screen.
- Switching Views
- To alternate views between thumbnails and details simply select the view you want by clicking "Thumbnails View" for the thumbnail view, and similarly, "Details View" for the a details view.
- Uploading Files
- If you would like to upload files, (usually images) to the <joomlaroot>/images/ directory (or any of the sub directories) simply open the directory you want to upload in by clicking on it using the right side file navigation utility. Near the bottom of the Media Manager there is an area marked Upload File [Max 10M]; beneath that heading are three buttons. The first is marked "Browse", the second: "Start Upload", and the last, "Clear Completed" To begin uploading a file, use the "Browse" button to open a local disk file browser window, search through your local hard drive to find the file, and then click "Open". (You can do this several times so long as the overall file size accumulation doesn't exceed your max file upload size). Once you have all the files you want queued, hit the "Start Upload" button. The files will be uploaded to the selected directory.
- Create A Sub Directory
- If you want to create a sub directory in the <joomlaroot>/images/ directory (or any if it's sub directories), you can do so using the Media Manager! Simply navigate to the directory you want the soon-to-be sub directory to be located in. At the top of the Media Manager there is a text field area with a button to the right marked "Create Folder". Simply type the name of the desired sub directory into this text field, and then click the "Create Folder" button. The page will refresh and the sub folder will have been created and should be visible.
- The Media Manager's upload capacity can be changed in the Global Configuration.
- You can browse for a lot of files. Click on 'Start Upload' to upload all images displayed beneath it.
- Click on 'Clear completed' to delete the completed files from the uploading list. The images will not be removed from your /images directory of course.