The Menu Manager controls how Joomla!'s menus will look and act.
New in Joomla! 1.5:
- Type column
- ID column
- Title. The name of the item. For a Menu Item, the Title will display in the Menu. For an Article, Section, or Category, the Title may optionally be displayed on the web page. This entry is required. You can open the item for editing by clicking on the Title.
- Type. The type column in the menu manager will actually be the Unique Name of the menu.
- Menu Items. An icon that links to the Menu Item Manager. Clicking this icon takes you directly to the Menu Items for the selected Menu, where you can add or edit Menu Items.
- Published. Whether the item has been published or not. You can change the Published state by clicking on the icon in this column.
- Unpublished. The unpublished column shows the the number of items that aren't published or publicly available.
- Trashed. The trashed column shows the number of items that have been deleted, but not purged from the trash manager.
- Modules Column. Because all menus are also modules, and can have more than module associated with them, this column lists the number of modules associated with the menu.
- ID. The ID number. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, for example in internal links. You can not change this number.
- Copy To copy a menu, select the radio button next to it and click the "Copy" button on the toolbar. You can than then enter in a new title and description for the new menu.
- Delete To delete a menu, select the radio button, and then the "Delete" button. You will be given one last chance to change your mind. If you're sure you want to delete the menu, click the delete button one last time.
- Edit The "Edit" button allows you to change the unique name, title, description, and module name for the selected menu.
- New To create a new menu, click the "New" button. You can enter a unique name, a title, description, and the name for the module that will also be created with the menu.
It is expedient to give a descriptive title for new menus because, later, you will see it in the Backend Menus menu. It is a good idea to fill in the Description field with information about the menu. If you enter a short title in the Module title field, you can identify the menu's module using that title in the Module Manager.
Create a copy in the Module Manager
Though you can create a copy of a selected menu by clicking the Copy toolbar button, you can make another instance in the Module Manager as well.
Points to Watch
Creating a new menu
When you create a new menu, use only English alphanumeric characters without space in the Unique Name field. It is a good idea using only a-z, 0-9 and underscore (_) characters. Please read the tooltips as well.
If you don't enter a Module title, no module will be created and the menu cannot be displayed in the front end. However you can use the Module Manager later to create a new mod_mainmenu module, and assign it to the menu.
Deleting an existing menu
If you delete an existing menu, do not forget that all the menu items of the respective menu will be also deleted.
Main Menu cannot be deleted
Main Menu is your default menu, so it cannot be deleted. That is why it is marked with an asterisk (*) in the Menus menu. It can be unpublished however, if you wish to do so.
The menu items belonging to a specific menu listed in the Menu Item Manager can be accessed by clicking the icon in the Menu Item(s) column of the Menu Manager.