This screen is accessed from the back-end Joomla! administrator panel. It is used to create or edit Contact Categories in your Joomla! website.
How to Access
Navigate to the Contact Category Manager. To add a new Contact Category, press the "New" icon in the toolbar. To edit an existing Contact Category, click on the Category's Name or click the Category's checkbox and then click on the "Edit" icon in the toolbar.
This is where you can add a Contact Category or edit an existing Contact Category. Contact Categories allow you to organize contacts in your web site. Contact Categories are separate from other types of Categories, such as those for Articles, Banners, News Feeds, and so on.
Details and Options
In this section, you can enter information about the Contact Category, such as name, alias, description, and so on.
- Title. The name of the item. For a Menu Item, the Title will display in the Menu. For an Article, Section, or Category, the Title may optionally be displayed on the web page. This entry is required. You can open the item for editing by clicking on the Title.
- Alias. The internal name of the item, also used in the URL when SEF is activated. Normally, you can leave this blank and Joomla! will fill in a default value. The default value is the Title or Name in lower case and with dashes instead of spaces. You may enter the Alias manually. The Alias should consist of lowercase letters and hyphens (-). No blank spaces or underscores are allowed. Note: If the title consists of non-Latin characters, the Alias will default to the current date and time, for example "2009-02-11-17-54-38".
- Parent. The item (category, menu item, and so on) that is the parent of the item being edited.
- State: State of the item. Possible values are:
- Published: The item is published. This is the only state that will allow regular website users to view this item.
- Unpublished: The item is unpublished.
- Archived: The item has been archived.
- Trashed: The item has been sent to the Trash.
- Access. Who can view this item. You can change an item's Access in its edit screen. See User Access Levels for more information.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, and you cannot change this number. When creating a new item, this field displays 0 until you save the new entry, at which point a new ID is assigned to it.
- Description. Description of this category, which can optionally be displayed in the front-end.
- Created by. Shows the user that created the item. Click the 'Select User' button to change the value.
- Alternative Layout. Specify a different layout than the one supplied by the component view or template overrides.
- Image. Choose an image to be displayed with this item/category in the front-end.
- Meta Description. Optional text entered here will be added to the page's HTML output and may be displayed in search engine results.
- Meta Keywords. Optional comma-separated list that will be added to the HTML keywords output.
- Author. The author of this content.
- Robots. This will be added to the page's HTML output. Options are: Use Global, Index-Follow, No index-Follow, Index-No follow, No index-No follow, and Don't display robots tag.
The "Permissions" tab, shown below, lets you specify who can perform each type of action on this component:
The tree on the left shows the hierarchy of user groups that are available on your Joomla! site. To view or modify permissions, click on a group in the tree.
The table on the right side of the window contains 3 columns:
- Actions. The various actions for which you can specify permissions for the currently selected user group.
- Component Settings. The permission option set at the component level, which can be changed with the dropdown control. Options are:
- Inherited. The permission for this group/action is inherited from the site's Global Configuration.
- Allowed. Allows this action for this user group and for child groups.
- Locked. Denies this action for this users group and for child groups.
- Calculated Settings. The effective permission, based on current options in the site's Global Configuration. Note: After making changes, Save options and open them again to view updated Calculated Settings.
Actions available in this component are:
- Configure. Grants users the right to edit this component's Options.
- Access Component. Grants users the right to open this component's main screen ("Manager" screen).
- Create. Grants users the right to create new objects (for example: users, menu items, articles, weblinks, and so on).
- Delete. Grants users the right to delete existing objects.
- Edit. Grants users the right to edit existing objects.
- Edit State. Grants users the right to change existing objects state (Publish, Unpublish, Archive, Check In and Trash).
For more information, please refer to:
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
- Save. Saves the item and stays in the edit screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the item and closes the edit screen.
- Save & New. Saves the item and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another item.
- Cancel. Returns to the previous screen without saving your work. If you press Cancel while adding a new item, this new item will not be created. If you were modifying an existing item, the modifications will not be saved.
- Help. Opens this Help Screen.