This article or section is in the process of an expansion or major restructuring. You are welcome to assist in its construction by editing it as well. If this article or section has not been edited in several days, please remove this template.
This article was last edited by Jcutrone (talk| contribs) 3 years ago. (Purge)
This screen is accessed from the back-end Joomla! administrator panel. It is used to manage contacts in your Joomla! website.
How to access
- Select Components → Contacts → Contacts from the drop-down menu of the Joomla! Administrator Panel. You can also select the 'Contacts' menu link from the Contact Manager: Contacts, or the Category Manager: Contacts screens.
The Contact Manager screen allows you to add contact information to your Joomla! site. You can enter information such as name, address, phone and e-mail. You can also link contacts to registered users. Afterwards, you can use the Menu Manager to create front-end links to the the contacts.
Click on the column heading to sort the list by that column's value.
- Checkbox. Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing.
- Title. The name of the Contact. You can click on the title to open the Contact for editing.
- Linked User. The username this contact is linked to (if applicable).
- Published. Whether the item has been published or not. You can change the Published state by clicking on the icon in this column.
- Featured. Whether or not the item will be displayed in featured view. A blue circle with a white star inside means yes and a gray circle with a white dot inside means no.
- Category. The Category that this Contact belongs to. Clicking on the Category Title opens the Category for editing. See Category Manager: Contacts screen. Note that Contact Categories are separate from other Categories, such as those for Articles, Banners, Newsfeeds, and Web Links.
- Ordering. The order to display items. If the list is sorted by this column, you can change the order by clicking the arrows or by entering the sequential order and clicking 'Save Order'. Note that the display order on a page is set in the Parameters - Advanced section for each Menu Item. If that order is set to use something other than 'Order' (for example, 'Title - Alphabetical'), then the order value in this screen will be ignored. If the Menu Item Order parameter is set to use 'Order', then the items will display on the page based on the order in this screen.
- Access. Which user 'access level' has access to this item. You can change an item's 'access level' by clicking on the item to edit it.
- Language. The language of the item.
- ID. The ID number. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, for example in internal links. You can not change this number.
Filter by Partial Title
You can filter the list of items by typing part of the contacts's name.
Filter by Published State, Category, Access Level, and Language
In the upper right area, above the column headings, there are four drop-down list boxes as shown below:
The selections may be combined. Only items matching all selections will display in the list.
- Select State. Use the drop-down list box to select the published state: Published, Unpublished, Archived, Trashed, or All (any).
- Select Category. Use the drop-down list box to select only contacts of the selected category.
- Select Access. Use the drop-down list box to select only contacts configured for the selected access level.
- Select Language. Use the drop-down list box to select only clients of the selected language.
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- New. Click on this button to create a new contact. You will enter the New page for this item.
- Edit. Select one contact and click on this button to open it in edit mode. If you have more than one contact selected (where applicable), the first item will be opened. You can also open a contact for editing by clicking on its Name.
- Publish. To publish one or more contacts, select them and click on this button.
- Unpublish. To unpublish one or more contacts, select them and click on this button.
- Archive. To put one or more contacts into the archived state, select them and click on this button.
- Check In. To check-in one or more contacts, select them and click on this button.
- Trash. To trash one or more items, select them and click this button. The selected items will be placed in the trash. Note: Only empty items can be trashed.
- Options. Click this button to open the Contacts Global Configuration window. This window allows you to set default parameters for Contacts, as shown below.
- Save. Saves your settings.
- Cancel. Cancels your changes.
- Purchase Type. This is used to indicate how the banner client purchased the display time for the banner - monthly, yearly, etc...
- Track Impressions. Whether or not to count how many times a Banner is displayed.
- Track Clicks. Whether or not to count how many times a Banner is clicked.
- Meta Keyword Prefix. When matching keywords (for matching Banners to Articles based on Keywords), only search for keywords with this prefix. This can improve performance.
Contacts and Categories Links
At the top left, above the Filter, you will see the following two links:
- Contacts. This link is disabled, since you are already in the Contacts page.
- Categories. Click this link to go to the Category Manager: Contacts screen.
- You need to add at least one Category for your Contacts before you can add your first Contact. Categories are added using the Contacts Category Manager.