Help16:Components Messaging Inbox
How to Access
Select Components → Messaging → Read Private Messages from the drop-down menu on the Back-end of your Joomla! 1.6.x installation.
The Private Messaging screen allows you to send messages to other Back-end Joomla! users. You may read, write, send, and delete messages here. In addition, you may also manage message settings and grouping options.
- Checkbox. The item selection checkbox. Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Mark As Read, Mark As Unread and Trash, can work with multiple items.
- Subject. The subject line of the message. Click this to open the message for viewing. This takes you to the View Message screen where you view, reply to, or delete the message.
- Read. A green tick indicates that the message has been read. A red donut indicates that it has not been read.
- From. The user who sent the message.
- Date. The date and time the message was sent.
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
- New. Creates a new message to be sent. A window called Write Private Message will open.
- Mark As Read. Marks the selected messages as Read. Select messages by checking the message's checkbox.
- Mark As Unread. Marks the selected messages as Unread. Select messages by checking the message's checkbox.
- Trash. Deletes the selected messages. Select messages by checking the message's checkbox.
- My Settings. Opens a pop-up window that allows you to change messaging settings.
- Options Opens a pop-up window that allows you to manage User Groups for this component.
- Help. Opens this Help Screen.
Filter by Partial Title
You can filter the list of messages by typing part of the subject, or you can select Read, Unread or Trash messages.
- Search. In the upper left corner just above the column headings is a Search field and two buttons, as shown below:
If you have a large number of messages on the list, you can use this filter to find the desired messages quickly. Enter part of the subject and press "Search" to display the matching messages. You can enter in whole words or part of a word. For example, "ooml" will match all subjects with the word "Joomla!" in them.
Filter by Read, Unread or Trash State
In the upper right area, above the column headings, is a drop-down list box as shown below:
- Select State. Use the drop-down list box to select: Read, Unread or Trash. Only messages with this state will show on the list.
- Only users who are members of the "Super Users" and "Administrator" groups have access to this screen, unless User Group permissions have been altered for this component via Options on the toolbar.
- You are able to restore Messages previously sent to the Trash by finding the Select State filter drop-down and selecting "Trash" from the list. Finally, to restore the message, simply select the messages you want to restore using the checkbox next to the particular message you require and click the "Mark As Unread" button in the toolbar.