This screen is accessed from the back-end Joomla! administrator panel. It is used to add or edit redirects.
How to access
Navigate to the the Redirect Manager. To add a new Redirect, click on the New icon in the toolbar. To edit an existing Redirect, click on the Redirect's Expired URL field or check the Redirect's checkbox and press the Edit icon in the toolbar.
This is where you can add a new redirect or edit an existing one. The URL you want to redirect from must not be a working one on your website which actually loads a web page. It can be the URL to a web page which you have disabled in the Joomla! back-end administrator interface. The Source URL you specify when you create the redirect should be the full URL as you would type it in your web browser. The Destination URL you specify when you create a redirect must be the full URL as well.
Details and Options
- Source URL. The URL to be redirected.
- Destination URL. The URL to redirect to.
- Comment. A comment that is only viewable in the administrator back-end. It is primarily intended for your reference.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, and you cannot change this number. When creating a new item, this field displays 0 until you save the new entry, at which point a new ID is assigned to it.
- State: State of the item. Possible values are:
- Published: The item is published. This is the only state that will allow regular website users to view this item.
- Unpublished: The item is unpublished.
- Archived: The item has been archived.
- Trashed: The item has been sent to the Trash.
- Created Date. The date the item was created.
- Last Updated Date. Shows the last date the item was modified.
At the top right you will see the toolbar.
- Save. Saves the item and stays in the edit screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the item and closes the edit screen.
- Save & New. Saves the item and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another item.
- Close. Returns to the previous screen without saving your work. If you press Close while adding a new item, this new item will not be created. If you were modifying an existing item, the modifications will not be saved.
- Help. Opens this Help Screen.
How to Creatw a Redirect
- First ensure that you have enabled the option Use Apache mod_rewrite in the Global Configuration options of your Joomla! installation. Note that just enabling the Use Apache mod_rewrite option is not enough. You must also take the additional step of renaming the htaccess.txt file in the web site directory where you installed Joomla! to .htaccess or to whatever file name your Apache web server requires for additional configuration directives. In the Apache configuration file this setting is named 'AccessFileName' and by default this is set to '.htaccess'
- When entering URLs into the Expired URL and New URL fields, enter the complete URL as you would type it into your web browser.