How to Access
Select Extensions > Extension Manager from the drop-down menu in the Back-end of your Joomla! installation. Then click the Manage menu item in the Extension Manager screen that appears.
This screen allows you to Enable/Disable extensions. To Enable/Disable an extension is the same as to Publish/Unpublish it. In addition you can uninstall extensions from this screen as well.
- #. An indexing number automatically assigned by Joomla! for ease of reference.
- Checkbox. Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items.
- Name. The name of the extension.
- Extension Type. The extension type - Module, Plug-in, Template, Language.
- Enabled. A green tick or a red circle showing whether the use of the extension is enabled/disabled. Click the icon to toggle the item between enabled and disabled.
- Version. The version number of the Extension.
- Date. The date this extension was released.
- Folder. If the extension is a plug-in, the subdirectory of your Joomla! installation's /plugins directory where the extension is located. By default Joomla! 1.6 has the following subdirectories in the plugins directory which each represent the different types of plug-ins that are defined: authentication, content, editors, editors-xtd, extension, search, system, user.
- Client. Specifies if this is a site or administrator extension.
- Author. The author of this extension.
- Id. The ID number. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, for example in internal links. You can not change this number.
- Display #. The number of items to display on one page. Note that if you have a large number of items, it may be helpful to use the Filter options, located above the column headings, to limit which items display (where applicable).
Filter by Partial Title
You can filter the list of items by typing part of the title or the ID number. Or, you can select a combination of Category and Published State.
- Filter. In the upper left corner just above the column headings is a Filter field and two buttons, as shown below: If you have a large number of items on the list, you can use this filter to find the desired item(s) quickly. Enter either part of the title or an ID number and press 'Go' to display the matching items. You can enter in whole words or part of a word. For example, "ooml" will match all titles with the word "Joomla!" in them.
Hide Protected Extensions
Check this checkbox to hide extensions which are protected. <TODO: Define how an extension would meed this criteria>
Filter by Extension Type, Plug-in Folder, and Extension Client
- Select type. Select the extension type from the drop-down list box of available types.
- Select folder. Select a plug-in folder from the drop-down list box of available folders. There is a separate folder for each type of plug-in defined in your installation of Joomla!.
- Select client. Select an extension client from the drop-down list box of available clients. There are two clients - Site and Administrator. Site clients are extensions which are designed for use in areas outside of the administrator interface. Administrator extensions are for the back-end administrative functions of your Joomla! installation. Usually you would only directly interact with these extensions through the administrator web interface.
Note: The selections may be combined. Only items matching all selections will display in the list.
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
- Publish. Enable the selected extension(s).
- Unpublish. Disable the selected extension(s).
- Refresh cache. Refresh the information displayed in the extension listing.
- Uninstall. Uninstall the selected extension(s).
- Options. Opens the configuration window for the Extension Manager. In this window you can set Extension Manager access permissions for each user group specified in your Joomla! installation.
- Help. Opens this Help Screen.
Links to Other Screens At the top left, you will see the following five links:
- Throughout the administrator interface of Joomla! you will see the terms "Publish" and "Unpublish". Publish means the same thing as Enable or Activate. Unpublish means the same thing as Disable or Deactivate. You may see the terms used interchangeably in extension screens and help documentation you find online.