This screen is accessed from the back-end Joomla! administrator panel. It is used to manage templates in your Joomla! website.
How to access
- Select Extensions → Template Manager from the drop-down menu of the Joomla! Administrator Panel. You can also select the 'Styles' menu link from the Template Manager: Templates screen.
The Template Manager: Styles screen is new to Joomla! 1.6. It allows you to manage template styles which you can then apply to your Joomla! installation. You can specify the default style to be applied to web pages in the public and administrator interfaces. You can also configure different styles for the various menu item web pages on your site. Styles allow to you have multiple different configurations of a template saved and then apply them on a site-wide or per-page basis.
Click on the column heading to sort the list by that column's value.
- Checkbox. Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing.
- Style. The style name. The default style that is installed with a new template will have '-Default' at the end of its name.
- Location. Whether the style is a public front-end or an administrator back-end style. 'Site' means it is a public front-end style. 'Administrator' means it is an administrator back-end style.
- Template. The name of the template which the style was derived from.
- Default. Whether or not the style is the default applied to pages which do not have a specific style configured. A gold star means the style is the default. There can be only one default style set for locations.
- Assigned. Whether or not the template is configured on a web page. A green circle with a white check mark in it means the style is being used on at least one web page of your site.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, and you cannot change this number. When creating a new item, this field displays 0 until you save the new entry, at which point a new ID is assigned to it.
Filter by Partial Title
You can filter the list of items by typing in part of the Title or the ID number.
Filter. In the upper left corner just above the column headings are a Filter field and two buttons, as shown below:
If you have a large number of items in the list, you can use this filter to find the desired item(s) quickly. Enter either part of the title or an ID number and press 'Search' to display the matching items. You can type in whole words or part of a word. For example, "ooml" will match all titles with the word "Joomla!" in them. Click 'Clear' to reset filtering.
Filter by Location and Template
In the upper right area, above the column headings, there are two drop-down list boxes as shown below:
The selections may be combined. Only items matching all selections will be displayed in the list.
- Select Location.
- Select Template.
Number of Items to Display
Below the list you'll find:
- Display #. The number of items to display on one page. If there are more items than this number, you can use the page navigation buttons (Start, Prev, Next, End, and page numbers) to navigate between pages. Note that if you have a large number of items, it may be helpful to use the Filter options, located above the column headings, to limit which items display (where applicable).
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
- Edit. Opens the editing screen for the selected item. If more than one item is selected (where applicable), only the first item will be opened. An item can also be opened for editing by clicking on its Title or Name.
- Options. Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters can be edited. See Options.
- Help. Opens this Help Screen.