| || |
|−|[[Image: Help25-banners-manager-options-client.png|center]] |+|
|−|:*'''Save.''' Saves your settings. |+|
|−|:*'''Cancel.''' Cancels your changes. |+|
|−|:*'''Purchase Type.''' This is used to indicate how the banner client purchased the display time for the banner - monthly, yearly, etc... |+|
|−|:*'''Track Impressions.''' Whether or not to count how many times a Banner is displayed. |+|
|−|:*'''Track Clicks.''' Whether or not to count how many times a Banner is clicked. |+|
|−|:*'''Meta Keyword Prefix.''' When matching keywords (for matching Banners to Articles based on Keywords), only search for keywords with this prefix. This can improve performance. |+|
|−|'''Banners, Categories, Clients and Tracks Links''' |+|
|−|At the top left, above the Filter, you will see the following four links: |+|
|−|*'''Banners.''' Click this link to go to the [[Help25:Components_Banners_Banners|Banners Manager]] page. |+|
|−|*'''Categories.''' This link is disabled, since you are already in the Categories page. |+|
|−|*'''Clients.''' Click this link to go to the [[Help25:Components_Banners_Clients|Banner Clients Manager]] page. |+|
|−|*'''Tracks.''' Click this link to go to the [[Help25:Components_Banners_Tracks|Banner Tracks Manager]] page. |+|
| || |
Revision as of 04:34, 22 February 2013
This screen is accessed from the back-end Joomla! administrator panel. It is used to add or edit banner categories.
How to Access
The Banner Category Manager is where you can edit existing Banner Categories and create new ones. Note that Banner Categories are separate from other Categories, such as for Articles, Contacts, News Feeds, and Web Links. From this screen you can navigate to the Banner Manager, Banner Clients Manager and the Banner Tracks Manager. You must add at least one Banner Client and Banner Category before you can add a Banner.
Click on the column heading to sort the list by that column's value.
- Checkbox. Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing.
- Title. The name of the Category. This entry is required. You can open the item for editing by clicking on the Title.
- Published. Whether the item has been published or not. You can change the Published state by clicking on the icon in this column.
- Ordering. The order to display items. If the list is sorted by this column, you can change the order by clicking the arrows or by entering the sequential order and clicking the 'Save Order' icon in the column header.
- Access. The minimum access level that has the ability to view this category's banners.
- Language. The language of the banner.
- ID. The ID number. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, for example in internal links. You cannot change this number.
- Display #. The number of items to display on one page. If there are more items than this number, you can use the page navigation buttons (Start, Prev, Next, End, and page numbers) to navigate between pages. Note that if you have a large number of items, it may be helpful to use the Filter options, located above the column headings, to limit which items display (where applicable).
Filter by Partial Title
You can filter the list of items by typing part of the category's name.
Filter by Max Levels, State, Access or Language
In the upper right area, above the column headings, there are four drop-down boxes as shown below:
Only items matching the selected Max Levels, State, Access and/or Language will display in the list.
- Select Max Levels. Use the drop-down list box to select how many child categories to display. For example, selecting 1 will only show the top level parent categories. Selecting 2 will show the top level parent categories and also the first level of child categories.
- Select State. Use the drop-down list box to select the published state: Published, Unpublished, Archived, Trashed, or All (any).
- Select Access. Use the drop-down list box to select the access level.
- Select Language. Use the drop-down list box to select only categories of the selected language.
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- New. Opens the editing screen to create a new banner category.
- Edit. Opens the editing screen for the selected banner category. If more than one banner category is selected (where applicable), only the first banner category will be opened. The editing screen can also be opened by clicking on the Title or Name of the banner category.
- Publish. Makes the selected banner categories available to visitors to your website.
- Unpublish. Makes the selected banner categories unavailable to visitors to your website.
- Archive. Changes the status of the selected banner categories to indicate that they are archived. Archived banner categories can be moved back to the published or unpublished state by selecting "Archived" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the banner categories to Published or Unpublished as preferred.
- Check In. Checks-in the selected banner categories. Works with one or multiple banner categories selected.
- Trash. Changes the status of the selected banner categories to indicate that they are trashed. Trashed banner categories can still be recovered by selecting "Trashed" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the banner categories to Published or Unpublished as preferred. To permanently delete trashed banner categories, select "Trashed" in the Select Status filter, select the banner categories to be permanently deleted, then click the Empty Trash toolbar icon. Note: Only empty banner categories can be trashed.
- Rebuild. Reconstructs and refreshes the banner category table. Normally, you do not need to rebuild this table. This function is provided in case the data in the table becomes corrupted.
- Options. Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters or permissions can be edited.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
Click the Options button to open the Banner Manager Options window which lets you configure this component.
Buttons Common to All Tabs
- Save. Saves the banner options and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the banner options and closes the current screen.
- Cancel/Close. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made.
Client Options Tab
- Purchase Type. (Unlimited/Yearly/Monthly/Weekly/Daily) This is used to indicate how the banner client purchased the display time for the banner
- Track Impressions. (Yes/No) Whether or not to count how many times a Banner is displayed.
- Track Clicks. (Yes/No) Whether or not to count how many times a Banner is clicked.
- Meta Keyword Prefix. When matching keywords (for matching Banners to Articles based on Keywords), only search for keywords with this prefix. This can improve performance.
This screen allows you to set the component permissions in Joomla. This is important to consider if you have sites with many different user categories all of whom need to have different accessibilities to the component. The screenshot below describes what you should see and the text below that describes what each permission level gives the user access to:
You work on one Group at a time by opening the slider for that group. You change the permissions in the Select New Settings drop-down list boxes.
The options for each value are Inherited, Allowed, or Denied. The Calculated Setting column shows you the setting in effect. It is either Not Allowed (the default), Allowed, or Denied.
Note that the Calculated Setting column is not updated until you press the Save button in the toolbar. To check that the settings are what you want, press the Save button and check the Calculated Settings column.
The default values used here are the ones set in the Global Configuration Permissions Tab
- Open the banners component option screens (the modal window these options are in)
- Access Administration Interface
- Open the banners component manger screens
- Create new banners in the component
- Delete existing banners in the component
- Edit existing banners in the component
- Edit State
- Change an banners state (Publish, Unpublish, Archive, and Trash) in the component.
There are two very important points to understand from this screen. The first is to see how the permissions can be inherited from the parent Group. The second is to see how you can control the default permissions by Group and by Action.
This provides a lot of flexibility. For example, if you wanted Shop Suppliers to be able to have the ability to create an article about their product, you could just change their Create value to "Allowed". If you wanted to not allow members of Administrator group to delete objects or change their state, you would change their permissions in these columns to Inherited (or Denied).
It is also important to understand that the ability to have child groups is completely optional. It allows you to save some time when setting up new groups. However, if you like, you can set up all groups to have Public as the parent and not inherit any permissions from a parent group.
Below the list of categories is the batch processing section:
- Set Access Level. Use this drop-down list to select an access level.
- Select Category for Move/Copy. Use this drop-down list to select a category to move or copy the selected categories to. Use the radio button to select either a move or copy operation.
- Process. Press this button to execute your batch processing settings for the selected categories.
- Clear. Reset your batch processing settings selections.
- You must add at least one Banner Client and Banner Category before you can add a Banner.