This screen is accessed from the back-end Joomla! administrator panel. It is used to create or edit Contact Categories in your Joomla! website.
How to Access
Navigate to the Contact Category Manager. To add a new Contact Category, press the "New" icon in the toolbar. To edit an existing Contact Category, click on the Category's Name or click the Category's checkbox and then click on the "Edit" icon in the toolbar.
This is where you can add a Contact Category or edit an existing Contact Category. Contact Categories allow you to organize contacts in your web site. Contact Categories are separate from other types of Categories, such as those for Articles, Banners, News Feeds, and so on.
Details and Options
In this section, you can enter information about the Contact Category, such as name, alias, description, and so on.
- Title. The name of the item. For a Menu Item, the Title will display in the Menu. For an Article or Category, the Title may optionally be displayed on the web page. This entry is required. You can open the item for editing by clicking on the Title.
- Alias. The internal name of the item, also used in the URL when SEF is activated. Normally, you can leave this blank and Joomla! will fill in a default value. The default value is the Title or Name in lower case and with dashes instead of spaces. You may enter the Alias manually. The Alias should consist of lowercase letters and hyphens (-). No blank spaces or underscores are allowed. Non-Latin characters can be allowed in the alias if you set the Unicode Aliases option to Yes in Global Configuration. If this option is set to No and the title includes non-Latin characters, the Alias will default to the current date and time (for example "2012-12-31-17-54-38").
- Parent. The item (category, menu item, and so on) that is the parent of the item being edited.
- State: State of the item. Possible values are:
- Published: The item is published. This is the only state that will allow regular website users to view this item.
- Unpublished: The item is unpublished.
- Archived: The item has been archived.
- Trashed: The item has been sent to the Trash.
- Access. The viewing level access for this item.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, and you cannot change this number. When creating a new item, this field displays 0 until you save the new entry, at which point a new ID is assigned to it.
- Description. Optional description for this Category. This description is just for your information and will not display on any page.
- Created by. Name of the Joomla! User who created this item. This will default to the currently logged-in user. If you want to change this to a different user, click the Select User button to select a different user.
- Alternative Layout. Specify a different layout than the one supplied by the component view or template overrides.
- Image. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or Hide an image to be displayed with this item/category in the front-end.
- Note. Item note. This is normally for the site administrator's use (for example, to document information about this item) and does not show in the front end of the site.
This section allows you to enter Metadata Information for this category. Metadata is information about the contact that is not displayed but is available to Search Engines and other systems to classify the contact. This gives you more control over how the content will be analyzed by these programs. All of these entries are optional. Metadata is shown inside HTML meta elements. The entry screen is shown below:
- Meta Description. An optional paragraph to be used as the description of the page in the HTML output. This will generally display in the results of search engines. If entered, this creates an HTML meta element with a name attribute of "description" and a content attribute equal to the entered text.
- Meta Keywords. Optional entry for keywords. Must be entered separated by commas (for example, "cats, dogs, pets") and may be entered in upper or lower case. (For example, "CATS" will match "cats" or "Cats"). Keywords can be used in several ways:
- To help Search Engines and other systems classify the content of the Article.
- In combination with Banner tags, to display specific Banners based on the Article content. For example, say you have one Banner with an ad for dog products and another Banner for cat products. You can have your dog Banner display when a User is viewing a dog-related Article and your cat Banner display for a cat-related Article. To do this, you would:
- Add the keywords 'dog' and 'cat' to the appropriate Articles.
- Add the Tags 'dog' and 'cat' to the appropriate Banners in the Banner Manager New/Edit screen.
- Set the Banner module Parameter 'Search By Tags' to 'Yes in the Banner Module Edit screen.
- For articles only, in combination with the Related Articles module, to display Articles that share at least one keyword in common. For example, if the current Article displayed has the keywords "cats, dogs, monkeys", any other Articles with at least one of these keywords will show in the Related Articles module.
- Author. Optional entry for an Author name within the metadata. If entered, this creates an HTML meta element with the name attribute of "author" and the content attribute as entered here.
- Robots. The instructions for web "robots" that browse to this page.
- Use Global: Use the value set in the Component→Options for this component.
- Index, Follow: Index this page and follow the links on this page.
- No index, Follow: Do not index this page, but still follow the links on the page. For example, you might do this for a site map page where you want the links to be indexed but you don't want this page to show in search engines.
- Index, No follow: Index this page, but do not follow any links on the page. For example, you might want to do this for an events calendar, where you want the page to show in search engines but you do not want to index each event.
- No index, no follow: Do not index this page or follow any links on the page.
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- Save. Saves the contact category and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the contact category and closes the current screen.
- Save & New. Saves the contact category and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another contact category.
- Cancel/Close. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made.
- Help. Opens this help screen.