|(3 intermediate revisions by one user not shown)|
| || |
|−|===Details === |+|
| || |
|−|This section is where you can view and edit permissions for items that are part of this category. |+|
|−|The tree on the left represents the user groups that have been defined for your Joomla! site, while the right part displays permissions for the currently selected group, and lets you edit those permissions: |+|
| || |
Latest revision as of 13:18, 18 April 2013
This screen is accessed from the back-end Joomla! administrator panel. It is used to add or edit weblink categories.
How to Access
Navigate to the Web Link Category Manager. To add a new Web Link Category, and click the New icon in the toolbar. To edit an existing Web Link Category, click the Category's Name, or check the Category's checkbox and press the Edit icon in the toolbar.
This is where you can add a new Web Link Category or edit an existing one. Note that you need to create at least one Web Link Category before you can create a Web Link. Also, Web Link Categories are separate from other types of Categories, such as those for Articles, Banners, and News Feeds.
- Title. The name of the item. For a Menu Item, the Title will display in the Menu. For an Article or Category, the Title may optionally be displayed on the web page. This entry is required. You can open the item for editing by clicking on the Title.
- Alias. The internal name of the item, also used in the URL when SEF is activated. Normally, you can leave this blank and Joomla! will fill in a default value. The default value is the Title or Name in lower case and with dashes instead of spaces. You may enter the Alias manually. The Alias should consist of lowercase letters and hyphens (-). No blank spaces or underscores are allowed. Non-Latin characters can be allowed in the alias if you set the Unicode Aliases option to Yes in Global Configuration. If this option is set to No and the title includes non-Latin characters, the Alias will default to the current date and time (for example "2012-12-31-17-54-38").
- Parent. The item (category, menu item, and so on) that is the parent of the item being edited.
- State: State of the item. Possible values are:
- Published: The item is published. This is the only state that will allow regular website users to view this item.
- Unpublished: The item is unpublished.
- Archived: The item has been archived.
- Trashed: The item has been sent to the Trash.
- Access. The viewing level access for this item.
- ID. The unique ID number automatically assigned to this item by Joomla!. This number cannot be changed.
- Description. Optional description for this Category. This description is just for your information and will not display on any page.
- Created by. Name of the Joomla! User who created this item. This will default to the currently logged-in user. If you want to change this to a different user, click the Select User button to select a different user.
- Alternative Layout. Specify a different layout than the one supplied by the component view or template overrides.
- Image. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or Hide an image to be displayed with this item/category in the front-end.
- Note. Item note. This is normally for the site administrator's use (for example, to document information about this item) and does not show in the front end of the site.
This section allows you to enter Metadata Information for this category. Metadata is information about the banner that is not displayed but is available to Search Engines and other systems to classify the banner. This gives you more control over how the content will be analyzed by these programs. All of these entries are optional. Metadata is shown inside HTML meta elements. The entry screen is shown below:
- Meta Description. An optional paragraph to be used as the description of the page in the HTML output. This will generally display in the results of search engines. If entered, this creates an HTML meta element with a name attribute of "description" and a content attribute equal to the entered text.
- Meta Keywords. Optional entry for keywords. Must be entered separated by commas (for example, "cats, dogs, pets") and may be entered in upper or lower case. (For example, "CATS" will match "cats" or "Cats"). Keywords can be used in several ways:
- To help Search Engines and other systems classify the content of the Article.
- In combination with Banner tags, to display specific Banners based on the Article content. For example, say you have one Banner with an ad for dog products and another Banner for cat products. You can have your dog Banner display when a User is viewing a dog-related Article and your cat Banner display for a cat-related Article. To do this, you would:
- Add the keywords 'dog' and 'cat' to the appropriate Articles.
- Add the Tags 'dog' and 'cat' to the appropriate Banners in the Banner Manager New/Edit screen.
- Set the Banner module Parameter 'Search By Tags' to 'Yes in the Banner Module Edit screen.
- For articles only, in combination with the Related Articles module, to display Articles that share at least one keyword in common. For example, if the current Article displayed has the keywords "cats, dogs, monkeys", any other Articles with at least one of these keywords will show in the Related Articles module.
- Author. Optional entry for an Author name within the metadata. If entered, this creates an HTML meta element with the name attribute of "author" and the content attribute as entered here.
- Robots. The instructions for web "robots" that browse to this page.
- Use Global: Use the value set in the Component→Options for this component.
- Index, Follow: Index this page and follow the links on this page.
- No index, Follow: Do not index this page, but still follow the links on the page. For example, you might do this for a site map page where you want the links to be indexed but you don't want this page to show in search engines.
- Index, No follow: Index this page, but do not follow any links on the page. For example, you might want to do this for an events calendar, where you want the page to show in search engines but you do not want to index each event.
- No index, no follow: Do not index this page or follow any links on the page.
- The permissions section for the category will be at the bottom of the screen and will look like the following:
- The options allowed are:
- Create new items in the category
- Delete existing items in the category
- Edit existing items in the category
- Edit State
- Change an items state (Publish, Unpublish, Archive, and Trash) in the category.
- Edit Own
- Edit existing items in the category that the logged in user has created.
- There are two very important points to understand from this screen. The first is to see how the permissions can be inherited from the parent Group. The second is to see how you can control the default permissions by Group and by Action.
- This provides a lot of flexibility. For example, if you wanted Shop Suppliers to be able to have the ability to create an item in the category, you could just change their Create value to "Allowed". If you wanted to not allow members of Administrator group to delete objects or change their state, you would change their permissions in these columns to Inherited (or Denied).
- It is also important to understand that the ability to have child groups is completely optional. It allows you to save some time when setting up new groups. However, if you like, you can set up all groups to have Public as the parent and not inherit any permissions from a parent group.
- Please note the inherited values will come from the Permissions set in the Global Configuration Permissions Tab
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- Save. Saves the web link category and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the web link category and closes the current screen.
- Save & New. Saves the web link category and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another web link category.
- Cancel/Close. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made.
- Help. Opens this help screen.