How to access
To navigate to the Search module, go to your site back-end. Using the top menu, go to Extensions -> module manager and select "new". Then, select Search. Alternatively, you can open an existing Search Module in the same screen.
This Module displays a Search entry field where the user can type in a phrase and press Enter to search the web site. An example of a
Search results screen is shown below:
- Module Class Suffix. A suffix applied to the CSS class of the Module. This allows you to create customized CSS styles that will apply just to this module. You would then modify the "template.css" file of your template to apply styling to this new class.
- Enter this parameter with a leading space to create a new CSS class for this module. Enter the parameter without a leading space to change the CSS class name for this module.
- See the tutorial Using Class Suffixes in Joomla! 1.5/1.6 for more information.
- Box Width. The size of the search box, in characters. Default value is 20.
- Box Text. Default text to display in the Search box. If blank, the "search box" field from the language file will be used.
- Search button. Whether or not to display a Search button. If no button is displayed, the user starts the search by pressing Enter.
- Button Position. Position of the Search button. Options are Right, Left, Top, or Bottom.
- Search button image. Whether or not to display the Search button as an image. If yes, the image file must be named "searchButton.gif" and be located in the "images/M_images" folder.
- Button Text. The text to display in the Search button. If left blank, the "search" string from the language file will be used.
- Set Item ID Assign an ItemID when no specific menu item for Com_search exists.
- Alternative layout Apply an alternative layout or template override
- Module Class Suffix Apply a CSS suffix to the module
- Caching. Use Global/No Caching. Whether or not to cache the content of this Module. A setting of "Use Global" will use the Cache Settings from the Global Configuration screen.
- Cache Time. The length of time, in minutes, before the Module is re-cached.
No tips have been added for the Search module.
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- Save. Saves the module and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the module and closes the current screen.
- Save & New. Saves the module and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another module.
- Save as Copy. Saves your changes to a copy of the current module. Does not affect the current module. This toolbar icon is not shown if you are creating a new module.
- Cancel/Close. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made.
- Help. Opens this help screen.