Used to show all of the published Contacts in a given Category. Note that Contact Categories are separate from Article Categories. Contacts and Contact Categories are entered by selecting Components/Contacts. See Contact Manager and Category Manager for more information.
How To Access
To create a new Category List Menu Item:
- Select Menus → [name of the menu] from the drop-down menu on the back-end of your Joomla! installation (for example, Menus → Main Menu).
- Click New to create a new menu item or click on an existing item to edit.
- Click the Menu Item Type Select button and then click the List contacts in a category link under Contacts.
To edit an existing Category List Menu Item, click its Title in Menu Manager: Menu Items.
Used to show contacts belonging to a specific Category in a list layout.
See Menu Item Manager: New Menu Item for help on fields common to all Menu Item types, including Details, Link Type Options, Page Display Options, Metadata Options, and Module Assignments for this Menu Item.
This layout requires that you select a category. This is done in the list box shown below.
- Choose a category. Select one Category from the list box.
The Category Options control the way that category information is shown in the layout. The Category List Layout has the following Category Options, as shown below.
- Category Title. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Whether to hide or show the title of the category.
- Category Description. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Description of this category, which can optionally be displayed in the front-end.
- Category Image. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Whether to hide or show the category image.
- Subcategory Levels. (Use Global/All/1-5) The number of levels of subcategories to show in the layout. Select All to show all levels in the subcategory hierarchy.
- Empty Categories. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Whether to hide or show the categories that contain no content items or subcategories.
- Subcategories Descriptions. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Whether to hide or show the category description of subcategories.
- # Contacts in Category. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Whether to hide or show the count of contacts in each category.
List Layout Options control the appearance of the list layout.
- Display #. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Whether to hide or show the Display # control that allows the user to select the number of items to show in the list. An example is shown below.
If there are more items than this number, you can use the page navigation buttons (Start, Prev, Next, End, and page numbers) to navigate between pages. Note that if you have a large number of items, it may be helpful to use the Filter options, located above the column headings, to limit which items display.
- Table Headings. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Table Headings show a heading above the article list, as shown below.
If set to Show, this heading will show about the list. Otherwise the list will show with no headings.
- Position. Show the position of the contacts in the table.
- Email. Show the email of the contacts in the table.
- Phone. Show the phone number of the contacts in the table.
- Mobile. Show the mobile number of the contacts in the table.
- Fax. Show the fax number of the contacts in the table.
- City or Suburb. Show the city or suburb of the contacts in the table.
- State or County. Show the State or County of the contacts in the table.
- Country. Show the Country of the contacts in the table.
- Pagination. Hide or Show Pagination support. Pagination provides page links at the bottom of the page that allow the User to navigate to additional pages. These are needed if the Articles will not fit on one page. An example is shown below.
The following options are available.
- Use Global: Use the default value from the component options screen.
- Auto: Pagination links shown if needed.
- Show: Pagination links shown if needed.
- Hide: Pagination links not shown. Note: In this case, Users will not be able to navigate to additional pages.
- Pagination Results. Hide or Show the current page number and total pages (e.g., "Page 1 of 2") at the bottom of each page. Use Global will use the default value from the component options.
- Sort By. Choose what to sort the table of contacts by
- Use Global - Chooses the default value.
- Name - Order by the name of the category.
- Sort Name - Order by the Sort Name.
- Ordering - Order by the order in the backend table.
Contact Display Options
The Category List Layout has the following Contact Options, as shown below. These options determine how the contacts will show in the list layout.
In addition to Yes/No or Hide/Show, these options allow the following settings.
The Contact Options are as follows.
- Display format. (Use Global/Sliders/Tabs/Plain) Determines the style used to display sections of the contact form.
The Featured Articles layout has the following Integration Options.
These determine whether a news feed will be available for the page and what information it will show.
- Show Feed Link. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Whether to Hide or Show a link to a news feed (RSS Feed). If set to Show, a Feed Link will show up as a feed icon in the address bar of most modern browsers).
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- Save. Saves the menu item and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the menu item and closes the current screen.
- Save & New. Saves the menu item and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another menu item.
- Save as Copy. Saves your changes to a copy of the current menu item. Does not affect the current menu item. This toolbar icon is not shown if you are creating a new menu item.
- Cancel/Close. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
- The Category List layout is a convenient way to list a compact directory of contacts in a category that can include filtering and searching.