The Redirect Manager is a component that is accessed from the back-end of a Joomla! website. It was introduced in Joomla! 1.6 and its main function is to provide a mechanism to give an Administrator the ability to redirect the URL of a web page which no longer exists to a working web page. You must have the Use Apache mod_rewrite option enabled in your Joomla! installation Global Configuration options in order for the redirects you create to function.
How to access
- Select Components → Redirect from the drop-down menu of the Joomla! Administrator Panel.
This component is primarily used for redirecting URLs for web pages that no longer exist on your website to web pages that are working. The URL you want to redirect from must not be a working one on your website which actually loads a web page. It can be the URL to a web page which you have disabled in the Joomla! back-end administrator interface. The Source URL you specify when you create the redirect should be the full URL as you would type it in your web browser. The component will only display the last portion of the source URL in the redirect listing. The Destination URL you specify when you create a redirect must be the full URL as well.
Click on the column heading to sort the list by that column's value.
- Checkbox. Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing.
- Expired URL. The URL which is being redirected on your website. Only the web page portion of the URL is displayed in this listing.
- New URL. The destination URL for the redirect.
- Referring Page. The referring web page for the redirect.
Chunk30:Help screen column header CreatedDate
- Enabled. Whether or not the item is enabled. A green circle with a white check mark in it means it is enabled. A red circle with a white dot in it means it is disabled.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, and you cannot change this number. When creating a new item, this field displays 0 until you save the new entry, at which point a new ID is assigned to it.
Filter by Partial Title
You can filter the list of items by typing in part of the Title or the ID number.
Filter by State
In the upper right area, above the column headings, there is one drop-down list box as shown below:
Only items matching the selection will be displayed in the list. Chunk30:Listfiltering
Number of Items to Display
Below the list you'll find:
Chunk30:Help screen list Display Count
Below the listing of redirects, is a section named 'Update selected links to the following new URL'. This function allows you to change the 'Destination URL' for the selected redirects.
- Destination URL. The destination URL to set for the selected redirects.
- Comment. The comment to set for the selected redirects.
- Update Links. Updates all selected redirects with the specified Destination URL and Comment.
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- New. Opens the editing screen to create a new redirect.
- Edit. Opens the editing screen for the selected redirect. If more than one redirect is selected (where applicable), only the first redirect will be opened. The editing screen can also be opened by clicking on the Title or Name of the redirect.
- Enable. Makes the selected redirects available for use on your website.
- Disable. Makes the selected redirects unavailable for use on your website.
- Archive. Changes the status of the selected redirects to indicate that they are archived. Archived redirects can be moved back to the published or unpublished state by selecting "Archived" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the redirects to Published or Unpublished as preferred.
- Trash. Changes the status of the selected redirects to indicate that they are trashed. Trashed redirects can still be recovered by selecting "Trashed" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the redirects to Published or Unpublished as preferred. To permanently delete trashed redirects, select "Trashed" in the Select Status filter, select the redirects to be permanently deleted, then click the Empty Trash toolbar icon.
- Options. Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters can be edited.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
Click the Options button to open the Redirect Manager Options window which lets you configure this component.
Buttons Common to All Tabs
Chunk30:Buttons Chunk30:Buttons Chunk30:Buttons
Chunk30:Help screen component options permissions intro
Chunk30:Help screen component options permissions columns intro
Chunk30:Help screen component options permissions columns admin Chunk30:Help screen component options permissions columns manage
For more information, please refer to:
- In order for your redirects to work, you must enable the option Use Apache mod_rewrite in the Global Configuration options of your Joomla! installation. Note also that just enabling the 'Use Apache mod_rewrite' option is not enough. You must take the additional step of renaming the htaccess.txt file in the web site directory where you installed Joomla! to .htaccess or to whatever file name your Apache web server requires for additional configuration directives. In the Apache configuration file this setting is named 'AccessFileName' and by default this is set to '.htaccess'