| || |
Revision as of 16:57, 15 December 2012
How to Access
- Select Content → Featured Article from the drop-down menu of the Joomla! Administrator Panel.
- Click the Featured Articles link while viewing the Article Manager or Category Manager in the left, upper sidebar.
The Featured Articles is the place where you control which Articles are displayed on the Front Page and in what order they are displayed. The Front Page is often the Home page of a web site, but it can be any page in the site. The Front Page is created using a Menu Item with the Front Page layout.
In the table containing Featured Articles, these are the different columns shown below.
- Ordering. Up-Down Arrows User specified ordering, default is order of item creation. When active, drag and drop ordering by 'click and hold' on the bars icon then 'release' in desired position.
- Checkbox. Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing.
- Status. Status of Article, Published or Unpublished featured articles.
- Published, featured article.
- Unpublished article.
- Title. The name of the item. For a Menu Item, the Title will display in the Menu. For an Article or Category, the Title may optionally be displayed on the web page. This entry is required. You can open the item for editing by clicking on the Title.
- Access. The viewing level access for this item.
- Author. Name of the Joomla! User who created this item.
- Language. Item language.
- Date. The date this Article was created. This date is added automatically by Joomla!, but you may change it in the Publishing Options - Article section of the Content Article Manager Edit.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, and you cannot change this number. When creating a new item, this field displays 0 until you save the new entry, at which point a new ID is assigned to it.
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- New. Opens the editing screen to create a new article.
- Edit. Opens the editing screen for the selected article. If more than one article is selected (where applicable), only the first article will be opened. The editing screen can also be opened by clicking on the Title or Name of the article.
- Publish. Makes the selected articles available to visitors to your website.
- Unpublish. Makes the selected articles unavailable to visitors to your website.
- Archive. Changes the status of the selected articles to indicate that they are archived. Archived articles can be moved back to the published or unpublished state by selecting "Archived" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the articles to Published or Unpublished as preferred.
- Check In. Checks-in the selected articles. Works with one or multiple articles selected.
- Remove.. Removes one or more articles from featured status. Featured articles are shown in featured views. Removed articles may still be available on other pages.
- Trash. Changes the status of the selected articles to indicate that they are trashed. Trashed articles can still be recovered by selecting "Trashed" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the articles to Published or Unpublished as preferred. To permanently delete trashed articles, select "Trashed" in the Select Status filter, select the articles to be permanently deleted, then click the Empty Trash toolbar icon.
- Options. Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters can be edited.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
Above the column headers on the right, there are 3 drop down input fields, Sort Table by: (preset to Ordering), Select the ordering (preset to Ascending) and a number (preset to 20) to display.
These column sorting input fields shows the current method of sorting applied to the table. Use the drop down field choices and click the column heading name. Alternatively, click on the column heading to sort the list by that column's value. This will also change the value in the drop field to correspond with the column header name. The list will then be sorted in order by that column and a sort icon(up or down arrow) will show next to the column name. Click a second time to reverse the sort, which will change the corresponding drop field.
- Ordering (default). The column in which to sort displayed items in the table. The values are the same as the column heading names.
- Ascending (default). Shows ordering of selected column, ascending or descending.
- # (default is 20). Shows the number of items to display on one page, default is 20 items. If there are more items than this number, you can use the page navigation buttons located at the bottom of the table. (Start, Prev, Next, End, and page numbers) to navigate between pages.
Filter by Partial Title
You can filter the list of items either by entering in part of the title or the ID number. You can also select a combination of State, Access, and Language.
- Filter. In the upper left corner just above the column headings is a Filter field and two buttons, as shown below:
If you have a large number of items on the list, you can use this filter to find the desired item(s) quickly. Enter either part of the title and press 'Go' to display the matching items. You can enter in whole words or part of a word. For example, "ooml" will match all titles with the word "Joomla!" in them. You can also search for a specific item id by entering "id:" followed by the id number. For example, "id:123" will find the item with an id of '123'.
Filter by Status, Access, Language
In the area in the upper right, above the column headings, there are 3 drop-down list boxes as shown below:
The selections may be combined. Only items matching all selections will display in the list.
- Select Status. Use the drop-down list box to select the published state: Published, Unpublished, Trashed, or All. For Articles, you may also select Archived. Important: With the default setting of -Select Status-, the screen only shows Published and Unpublished items. If you have the filter set to -Select Status- and you change items to Trashed, the Trashed items will disappear from the screen. However, they have not been permanently deleted. To do that you need to:
- Change the filter to Trashed. The Delete icon will now show in the toolbar.
- Select the items you want to permanently delete.
- Click on the Delete icon.
- You can see all items, regardless of their published state, by selecting All for this filter. You can also re-publish Trashed items by selecting them and clicking on the Publish icon in the toolbar.
Chunk:Help screen column header Select Access
- Select Language. Use the drop-down list box to select the desired Language. Only items in this Language will display.
- -Select <Column Variable>- In each box is the default setting and reveals all items relating to the particular list.