Used for creating new, editing, managing order, publishing, unpublishing and setting global options of articles shown on a Joomla website.
How to access
Click the Article Manager icon in the Control Panel
Select Content → Article Manger from the drop-down menu of the Joomla! Administrator Panel.
The Article Manager is used to add and edit articles. See Toolbar below for a detailed list of all functions.
In the top right you will see a toolbar with several useful functions for article management.
The functions are:
- New - Opens the editing screen to create a new article.
- Edit - Opens the editing screen for the selected article. If more than one article is selected (where applicable), only the first article will be opened. The editing screen can also be opened by clicking on the Title or Name of the article.
- Publish - Makes the selected articles available to visitors to your website.
- Unpublish - Makes the selected articles unavailable to visitors to your website.
- Featured - Marks selected articles as featured. Works with one or multiple articles selected.
- Archive - Changes the status of the selected articles to indicate that they are archived. Archived articles can be moved back to the published or unpublished state by selecting "Archived" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the articles to Published or Unpublished as preferred.
- Check In - Checks-in the selected articles. Works with one or multiple articles selected.
- Trash - Changes the status of the selected articles to indicate that they are trashed. Trashed articles can still be recovered by selecting "Trashed" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the articles to Published or Unpublished as preferred. To permanently delete trashed articles, select "Trashed" in the Select Status filter, select the articles to be permanently deleted, then click the Empty Trash toolbar icon.
- Batch - reveals options to perform batch operations on selected articles. See Batch Operations
- Options - Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters can be edited. See Article Manager Options for more information.
- Help - Opens this help screen.
Search & Sorting
Directly above the list of articles, you will find options to search the article list, as well as sort the list based on a variety of parameters.
Use the Search option to quickly search the Article list by article title, alias, or ID
Use the sorting options to adjust the order of the Article list to your preferences.
There are several options for sorting the articles.
- Ordering - sort articles by their article manager order. See Ordering Articles.
- Status - sort articles by their publication status.
- Title - sort articles in alphabetical order by their title
- Category - sort articles in alphabetical order by their category
- Access - sort articles by their User Access Level
- Language - sort articles by their language.
- Date - sort articles in chronological order by date
- ID - sort articles in numerical order by article ID
With a sorting parameter chosen, you can also determine if articles will be shown in ascending or descending order.
You can also determine how many articles are shown, with optional increments of 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 50, 100, or All. The default number is 20.
Another method of viewing only the articles you want to see is by filtering the list to only view articles that meet specific criteria. You can use the List Filters option on the left hand side of the articles list to accomplish this.
The options to filter the article list are:
- Status - only view articles with a specific publication status
- Category - only view articles from a specific category
- Access - only view articles with a specific User Access Level
- Author - only view articles written or created by a specific user
- Language - only view articles assigned to a specific language
You can "mix-and-match" these filters to narrow the list of articles down to only those you want to see
Batch Processing allows you to make a set of changes in bulk to a selected group of articles.
There are several Batch Operations available:
- Set Access Level - change or set the access level for the articles selected
- Set Language - set or change the language for the articles selected
- Select Category for Move/Copy - set a category to either move the selected articles to, or copy the selected articles to.
With your desired changes selected, you can either move the selected articles to the adjusted parameters, or you can copy (or clone) the selected articles with the adjusted parameters.