To change the default Template for the Site (Front-end) or Administrator (Back-end), follow these steps:
Access the template manager
- Click on: Extensions → Template Manager
You will now see the Template Manager screen.
Note: If you do not see Template Manager listed as an option on the Extensions menu, then it is most likely because you are not logged in as a Super Administrator. Only Super Administrators will see this menu item.
Managing default template
From here you manage your templates for Front-end and Back-end. The default view shows your installed Front-end templates.
The default template for the Front-end is marked with a star; in the image below it is protostar.
To change the default template to beez3:
- click the checkbox left from the template name to select it;
- click "Default" on the toolbar;
the star changes from protostar to beez3 and you are done. Alternatively, you can click on the shadow of a template's default start to quickly set the template as default.
Assigning more than one template for the Front-end
Joomla! gives you the option of switching between two or more templates on the Front-end. This is done with "Menu Assignment", so you can set different templates for each menu or only a menu item. This allows specific "pages" that are defined by menu links to set for a "specific" template.
Template manager method
Click on: Extensions → Template Manager
- You will see your installed templates, now choose a template which is not set as your default one. Yellow star indicates the template is a default.
- Click on the template name or hit the checkbox to the left of the template name, and click "Edit" on the toolbar.
- You now see the page "Template: [ Edit ]", and go to the section "Menu Assignment" block and choose the menu items on which the template items should be shown.
- Click "Save" on the toolbar and you´re done. The menu item will now show the selected template.
- Go to the front-end of your website and refresh the page to view the modifications.
- Access menu item Menus → Menu Name
- Choose a menu item by checking the box to the left of its name and then click on the Edit toolbar button. Alternatively, simply click the name of the menu item to edit it.
- On the Edit Menu Item screen, in Template Style, choose the desired template style and click on the Save button.
- Go to the frontend of your website and refresh the page to view the modifications.