Talk:Security Checklist/Where can you learn more about file permissions?
Release Statement. Please feel free to make use of documents produced by myself in any format (electronic, hardcopy or public presentation) as required for the Joomla! project. All copyright is released to the Joomla! Project to re-use or publish the content of these posts under any license, as suits the projects needs.
Regards, Russ Winter
why after all the effort to update the documentation and get the permissions for the documentation to be used does any one feel it is justified to mark these for deletion? The links/resources as posted are not just for INSTALLATION they are for general security, extensions and various other aspects of joomla administration. I vote for complete rejection of the proposal for deletion and reinstatement of the original documentation otherwise its a complete waste of volunteers time --Mandville (talk) 18:36, 11 October 2012 (CDT)
- I think you misunderstand, and one thing I would never do or advocate is wasting volunteer's time. A wiki is supposed to be collaborative, but it needs some type of organisation so others can use it as an easy to use resource.
- I did not propose to delete the linked pages, but this page specifically. Three links on a page? Add them manually and/or dynamically to Joomla Installation Resources and actually they are already listed on a Security page - Security_and_Performance_FAQs. The linking of the pages can be added to any page where appropriate.
- There should also be a Joomla! Server Resources and Configurations or something similar page which ties together all the articles on server setups, configurations, .htaccess, permissions, LAMP, WAMP, database setups, etc... There are a lot of articles devoted to all of these subjects, but most linkings tie back to category pages or someone must preform hard searches to find exactly what needs to be found. Even more needed as Joomla 3.x has more options, see Technical requirements and notice more options for Joomla! 3.
- As far as the links on this page, I suggested a rename change from Windows Permissions Primer to something like Joomla! and Windows file permissions or perhaps just Windows file permissions explained. Some people might not understand the meaning of Primer in the title. The Unix title is really called How do UNIX file permissions work?, but is being linked with Primer in the link. Might as well mention Using phpSuExec, no categories on the page. Tom Hutchison (talk) 22:50, 11 October 2012 (CDT)
I think the issue is some saw the "this page marked for deletion" notice and as the link page and the linked to pages are fairly active in that we refer people to them, were afraid some overzealous person was going to delete the page. Perhaps it would be/would have been better to place a different type of notice on the page
"and actually they are already listed on a Security page - Security_and_Performance_FAQs."
The pages have been this way since about 2008. The three topics were originally in the Joomla docs., but someone removed and linked to the information that was re-posted on an external site. This is a violation of the wiki rules as Joomla has defined them. This was only recently discovered and determined that there was a violation (we allow some external links) and the page links were not approved. Whomever removed those docs pages created the 3 link page. The links on the security faq page you mention was a remnant of where the three documents had links to at some point. At request I removed the external links, kept the existing "link" page, and re created two of the three pages locally. It was also requested that any other pages I found with these same external links also be treated the same. There was a page remnant on the security faq with 1 link on it. I created the other two links to match the other page.
I don't think there is a big problem with reorganizing things some, but in my opinion, the security and performance faq's page is not going to get read as it is to long and contains to many links. More than one page of links and no one will read it or scroll it. If you want a project then make those faqs more organized and easier to use. -- Phil DeGruy (talk)
- Ok, concerns noted - since there is lots of external linking and refering to the page, then a redirect to a better organised page with a tad more content. Chances are if a person is having problems understanding permissions, they probably will need more information or be interested in: .htaccess, security, etc...
...in my opinion, the security and performance faq's page is not going to get read as it is to long and contains to many links.
- Yes, the page is too long and on my list for better organisation, then mesh it in with Installation, Security, and some type of Server Resources page. For example at Joomla Installation Resources, the browsebar at the top contains generic links right now, but will incorporate pages of Security, Server Configurations, Upgrading. A good example is Component Development which also links back to main page, Developers and all the other types of Development.
- I'm trying to eliminate stub pages and plain link pages(long lists or short lists of just links), while making navigation off the Main page of the Docs wiki a one or two clicks for a user to find the information faster. Tom Hutchison (talk) 08:44, 12 October 2012 (CDT)