From Joomla! Documentation
New articles can be added using one of the following methods:
- Log in to the Administrator back-end. To learn how to do this read: Logging in or out of the Administrator back-end.
- To open the New Article screen, either:
- Click on the New Article menu item in the main Control Panel or,
- Click the Contents → Articles → Add New Article menu item or,
- Click the Contents → Articles menu item to open the Articles Page. Then click the New toolbar button or,
- Create a new Single Article type menu item, and click the Create button under Select Article (only in Version 3.7 and higher).
The New Article screen contains options for categorizing and naming the article, editing content and selecting parameters.
- Enter a title in the Title field. This is used when the article title is displayed. (Required)
- Enter an alias in the Alias field. The alias is used to refer to the title and is important for the Search Engine Friendly Address features. If you do not enter anything, Joomla! will generate it for you.
- On the Content tab:
- Enter your content using the editor. For more information on the different editors available in Joomla! read: Content Editors.
- Select the Status: Published, Unpublished, Archived, or Trashed.
- Select a Category using the drop down menus. (Required)
- Select the Featured setting, whether or not to display the article on the home page.
- Select the Access restriction: Public, Registered, Super Users, etc.
- Select the Language the article is assigned to, if applicable.
- You can add Tags to your article. To create separate tags, press return after entering each individual keyword.
- You can also add a Version Note to your article.
- The other tabs include several options or parameters for the article. Click on each tab to view the parameters and change the settings to suit your requirements.
- To save your article:
- Click the Save toolbar button to save your changes, but remain on the Article edit screen.
- Click the Save & Close toolbar button to save your changes and return to the Article Manager screen.
- Click the Save & New toolbar button to save your changes and create another new Article.
- A green message will indicate that the article has been successfully saved.
- If you have not completed the Article Title or Category fields, a red error message will appear indicating the missing information.