Beginners/Start Creating Your Joomla Site
< Portal:Beginners(Redirected from Beginners/Start Creating Your Joomla Site)
Before you jump into making your own articles, categories, tags, web links, contacts, banners, and news feeds, you may want to review Planning Your Web site. There are many aspects of creating a web site to consider. For example, deciding if you want to enable Search Engine Friendly URLs and how enabling or disabling Search Engine Friendly URLs later will destroy the rankings your pages acquired with search engines such as Google, MSN and Yahoo.
Perhaps you already have a website. Then you should read "Converting an existing website to a Joomla! website" and learn more about converting your static website.
One of the first tasks you may want to do is to modify one of the templates that comes with Joomla! so that it displays your site name and logo.
Finally, you may want to install one or more of the thousands of extensions to Joomla!. Most Joomla! extensions are listed in the official Joomla! Extensions Directory (JED). Once you've found an extension to install, you'll have to follow the procedure for installing a Joomla! Extension.
Please remember that all extensions are developed by independent developers. If you need help with a specific extension the best source will be that developer.
Getting Help in the Joomla! Forums
The Joomla! forums are the among the busiest (and most friendly) support forums in the world, and they are a great place to get help and meet other Joomla! users.
- Before posting, check the FAQs--Frequently Asked Questions on the docs wiki.
- Please make certain you search the Forum post first before posting a question. Nine times out of ten someone else had the same issue that you had.
- Make sure you are posting in the right forum for your topic.
- Be clear and specific in your request for help. Entries like “Help! It doesn’t work!” tend to get ignored. Try to explain everything that led up to your problem. Try to explain what your problem is. Be clear about what you want to happen. And, thank those who bother to help!
- Use the Forum Post Assistant to help you provide more information and better explain your problem.
- If your question/problem was solved, mark your thread as solved by editing the first post you made in that thread and changing the topic icon to the green check mark with a circle. You can also add [Solved] to your topic title. By doing this you allow other members who are doing searches to easily differentiate between solved and unsolved issues. This also saves the volunteers' time of having to open up solved topics.
- As soon as you know things, start answering questions. Answering questions is one of the best ways to learn.
- If someone helps you, say thank you and pay it forward by answering a question yourself.
Here are some quick links to specific Joomla! forums commonly used. General/New to Joomla! 3.x Questions, Joomla! 3.x Template Questions, Joomla! 3.x Extension Questions, General/New to Joomla! 2.5 Questions, Joomla! 2.5 Template Questions, and Joomla! 2.5 Extension Questions