Bugs & Fun @Home
From Joomla! Documentation
Join the conversation on Glip in Bugs & Fun @ Home channel to see what's going on, request a conversation in Google Meet, or jump down to the Getting Started section to find out how to get involved.
Bugs and Fun @home is an event where Joomla enthusiasts meet online to improve Joomla. This is not only for improving the code of Joomla but also the documentation and translation. It is an online event for everybody to come, have fun and meet fellow Joomlers.
The idea behind organizing Bugs and Fun @home events is to achieve these goals:
- Reduce the number of open issues
- Get Joomla tested on different environments
- Get more people interested in testing issues at home
- Meet fellow Joomlers online
- Have fun and learn in a friendly environment
- 1 Origin
- 2 Meeting rooms
- 3 Getting Started
- 4 Bugs & Fun Activities List
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Joomla Docs
- 5.2 Joomla on GitHub
- 5.3 Joomla Issues on GitHub
- 5.4 Pizza bugs and fun
- 5.5 Issue tracker
- 5.6 Patch testing article
- 5.7 Patchtester 4 for Joomla 4 download
- 5.8 Patchtester 3 for Joomla 3 download
- 5.9 Prebuilt Packages
- 5.10 Joomla Nightly Builds
- 5.11 Setting up your J4 Environment
- 5.12 Joomla_4.0.0-beta4-dev-Development-Full_Package
- 5.13 Next Joomla 3 release candidate
- 5.14 Testing sheet for release candidates
The idea for Bugs & Fun @home came about when most of Europe was in lockdown during the COVID-19 pandemic. It came out of a discussion in a Production team meeting. The first incarnation was Pizza Bugs & Fun without the Pizza And the first online meeting Saturday 4th April. It is held weekly every Saturday. It's name was changed to Bugs & Fun @Home. Details were on a spreadsheet until this article was written.
Each Saturday, we run Google Meets on demand for people to chat about issues if they need a place to talk. General conversation about BF@H activity though also takes place in Glip (Ring Central) in the Bugs & Fun @Home channel. The Early Room is convened by Patrick Jackson from Melbourne Australia, and so can be started up on demand now any time on a Saturday. The afternoon room is convened by Philip Walton in London, and is usually opened up some time in the afternoon from midday UTC.
If you're interested in participating in your timezone, any time from 22:00UTC Friday night (9am Saturday ADST), drop a line in the Glip (Ring Central) channel for Bugs & Fun @ Home to make sure we open the room for you.
Find Out More
If you're just looking to get started and want to find out more about whether you can contribute, the short answer is yes!
There's plenty of tasks needing to be done by people with many skills and interests - it's not all just patch testing, and we don't expect everyone to walk in the door, turn on beastmode and clear the queue!
Joining a Meet one weekend is a great start - even it it's just for a 10 minute chat to find out what you do in Joomla. We can help put you in touch with some other teams to get involved with if you're interested.
Tools To Use
There's some other tools to use to get involved as a Bug Tester for Joomla, as well as if you're looking to get involved in the Joomla project overall. The links below take you to pages on JDOCs that will help you get started.
- RingCentral (Glip) is the communication tool used by the Joomla Project.
- Once you've been added on RingCentral, search for the Bugs & Fun @Home channel to join the conversation.
- GitHub is the tool Joomla uses for managing the code for the CMS, and a login to GitHub also allows you to use the Issues Tracker.
- Joomla Documentation Wiki is where all of the Joomla Help documents are created and managed, and to help with documentation, create an account there and you can then help with updating Joomla's help.
- Crowdin is the translation management tool all of Joomla's official language packs are managed in. Creating an account there will allow you to help with contributing to translations in your own language.
Bugs & Fun Activities List
The types of activity are split into three levels - Explorer, Adventurer and Conqueror. You can access the current list of tasks being looked at in this Google Sheet.
- Writing, reviewing, updating and improving current documents.
- Translating documents into different languages.
The full list is currently on this sheet Explorer tab
- Testing patches
This is where we test patches and using the chat feature provided on every Bugs & Fun @Home we can check with others online for help in conducting the tests and collaborate with others to get the second tester needed to fulfil the testing requirements. At the moment it is still in this spreadsheet tab Adventurer tab We are looking to move this to tags in GitHub
- Creating pull requests
This is where you are encouraged to make your own pull requests. Others can then help to test the pull request and if it passes it may make it into the core of Joomla. The list is currently held on this spreadsheet Conqueror tab
The following resources are available to help you to get the various jobs done.