From Joomla! Documentation
List Layout Options
These options control the appearance of the Category List layout. These settings are referred to as Global in menu items where List Layout is available under Advanced Options.
- Display Select. (Hide/Show) Whether to hide or show the Display # control that allows the user to select the number of items to show in the list. An example is shown below.
- If there are more items than this number, you can use the page navigation buttons (Start, Prev, Next, End, and page numbers) to navigate between pages. Note that if you have a large number of items, it may be helpful to use the Filter options, located above the column headings, to limit which items display.
- Filter Field. The Filter Field creates a text field where a user can enter a field to be used to filter the articles shown in the list. An example of how this looks in the front-end layout is shown below.
- Hide: Don't show a filter field.
- Title: Filter on article title.
- Author: Filter on the author's name.
- Hits: Filter on the number of article hits.
- Tags: Filter on the article tags.
- Table Headings. (Hide/Show) Table Headings show a heading above the article list, as shown below.
- If set to Show, this heading will show about the list. Otherwise the list will show with no headings.
- Show Date. This option allows you to show a date in the list. The options are as follows.
- Hide: Don't show any date.
- Created: Show the created date.
- Modified: Show the date of the last modification.
- Created: Show the start publishing date.
- Show Hits in List. (Hide/Show) Whether to hide or show the number of hits for this item.
- Show Author in List. (Hide/Show) Whether to hide or show the name of the author.
Example images of Table Headings, Filter Field and the Display Select are generic images. The actual view of a Category List can depend on the template used and the template's style for Category List views on a Joomla! website.