Components Contact Categories
(Redirected from Help16:Components Contacts Categories)
This screen is accessed from the back-end Joomla! administrator panel. It is used to manage contact categories in your Joomla! website.
How to Access
- Select Components → Contacts → Categories from the drop-down menu of the Joomla! Administrator Panel. You can also select the 'Categories' menu link from the Contact Manager: Contacts screen.
The Contact Category Manager is where you can edit existing Contact Categories and create new ones. Note that Contact Categories are separate from other Categories, such as for Articles, Banners, News Feeds, and Web Links. From this screen, you can also navigate to the Contact Manager: Contacts screen.
Click on the column heading to sort the list by that column's value.
- Checkbox. Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing.
- Title. The name of the item. For a Menu Item, the Title will display in the Menu. For an Article, Section, or Category, the Title may optionally be displayed on the web page. This entry is required. You can open the item for editing by clicking on the Title.
- Published. Whether the item has been published or not. You can change the Published state by clicking on the icon in this column.
- Ordering. The order in which to display items. If the list is sorted by this column, you can change the order by clicking the arrows or by entering the sequential order and clicking the 'Save Order' icon.
- Access. Who can view this item. You can change an item's Access in its edit screen. See User Access Levels for more information.
- Language. Item language.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, and you cannot change this number. When creating a new item, this field displays 0 until you save the new entry, at which point a new ID is assigned to it.
Filter by Partial Title
You can filter the list of items by typing in part of the Title or the ID number.
Filter. In the upper left corner just above the column headings are a Filter field and two buttons, as shown below:
If you have a large number of items in the list, you can use this filter to find the desired item(s) quickly. Enter either part of the title or an ID number and press 'Search' to display the matching items. You can type in whole words or part of a word. For example, "ooml" will match all titles with the word "Joomla!" in them. Click 'Clear' to reset filtering.
Filter by Max Levels. State, Access and Language
In the upper right area, above the column headings, there are four drop-down list boxes as shown below:
The selections may be combined. Only items matching all selections will be displayed in the list.
- Select Max Levels. Use the drop-down list box to choose how many hierarchical levels to show in the list.
- Select State. Use the drop-down list box to only show items matching a certain state: Published, Unpublished, Archived, Trash or All (available options may vary depending on item type).
- Select Access. Use the drop-down list box to select the desired Access Level. Only items with the specified Access Level will be displayed in the list.
- Select Language. Use the drop-down list box to select the desired Language. Only items for the specified language will be displayed in the list.
Number of Items to Display
Below the list you'll find:
- Display #. The number of items to display on one page. If there are more items than this number, you can use the page navigation buttons (Start, Prev, Next, End, and page numbers) to navigate between pages. Note that if you have a large number of items, it may be helpful to use the Filter options, located above the column headings, to limit which items display (where applicable).
This section lets you modify all currently selected (checked) items in one batch operation.
- Set Access Level. Select an Access Level to be applied to all selected items. See User Access Levels for more information.
- Select Category for Move/Copy. Select a target category where selected items should be moved or copied.
- Copy. Select this option to copy selected items to the specified category.
- Move. Select this option to move selected items to the specified category.
- Process. Proceed with the specified changes on all currently selected items.
- Clear. Reset all options in this section.
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
- New. Creates a new item and opens the editing screen for this item.
- Edit. Opens the editing screen for the selected item. If more than one item is selected (where applicable), only the first item will be opened. An item can also be opened for editing by clicking on its Title or Name.
- Publish. Publishes selected items. Works with one or multiple items selected.
- Unpublish. Unpublishes selected items. Works with one or multiple items selected.
- Archive. Archives selected items. Works with one or multiple items selected.
- Check In. Checks-in selected items. Works with one or multiple items selected.
- Trash. Sends selected items to the trash. Works with one or multiple items selected.
- Rebuild. Rebuilds the Categories tree data.
- Options. Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters can be edited. See Options.
- Help. Opens this Help Screen.
At the top left, above the Filter, you will see the following two links:
- Contacts. Click this link to go to the Contact Manager: Contacts screen.
- Categories. This link takes you to the screen you are currently on.