Components Banners Categories
From Joomla! Documentation
This screen is accessed from the back-end Joomla! administrator panel. It is used to add or edit banner categories.
How to Access
- Select Components → Banners → Categories from the drop-down menu of the Joomla! Administrator Panel. You can also select the 'Categories' menu link from the Banner Manager, Banner Clients Manager or the Banner Tracks Manager.
The Banner Category Manager is where you can edit existing Banner Categories and create new ones. Note that Banner Categories are separate from other Categories, such as for Articles, Contacts, News Feeds, and Web Links. From this screen you can navigate to the Banner Manager, Banner Clients Manager and the Banner Tracks Manager. You must add at least one Banner Client and Banner Category before you can add a Banner.
Click on the column heading to sort the list by that column's value.
- Checkbox. Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing.
- Title. The name of the Category. This entry is required. You can open the item for editing by clicking on the Title.
- Published. Whether the item has been published or not. You can change the Published state by clicking on the icon in this column.
- Ordering. The order to display items. If the list is sorted by this column, you can change the order by clicking the arrows or by entering the sequential order and clicking the 'Save Order' icon in the column header.
- Access. The minimum access level that has the ability to view this category's banners.
- Language. The language of the banner.
- ID. The ID number. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, for example in internal links. You cannot change this number.
- Display #. The number of items to display on one page. If there are more items than this number, you can use the page navigation buttons (Start, Prev, Next, End, and page numbers) to navigate between pages. Note that if you have a large number of items, it may be helpful to use the Filter options, located above the column headings, to limit which items display (where applicable).
Filter by Partial Title
You can filter the list of items by typing part of the category's name.
Filter by Max Levels, State, Access or Language
In the upper right area, above the column headings, there are four drop-down boxes as shown below:
Only items matching the selected Max Levels, State, Access and/or Language will display in the list.
- Select Max Levels. Use the drop-down list box to select how many child categories to display. For example, selecting 1 will only show the top level parent categories. Selecting 2 will show the top level parent categories and also the first level of child categories.
- Select State. Use the drop-down list box to select the published state: Published, Unpublished, Archived, Trashed, or All (any).
- Select Access. Use the drop-down list box to select the access level.
- Select Language. Use the drop-down list box to select only categories of the selected language.
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
- New. Click on this button to create a new category. You will enter the New page for this item.
- Edit. Select one category and click on this button to open it in edit mode. If you have more than one category selected, the first item will be opened. You can also open a category for editing by clicking on its Name.
- Publish. To publish one or more categories, select them and click on this button.
- Unpublish. To unpublish one or more categories, select them and click on this button.
- Archive. To put one or more categories into the archived state, select them and click on this button.
- Check In. To check-in one or more categories, select them and click on this button.
- Trash. To trash one or more items, select them and click this button. The selected items will be placed in the trash. Note: Only empty items can be trashed.
- Rebuild. Click this button to rebuild the category tree data.
- Options. Click this button to open the Banners Global Configuration window. This window allows you to set default parameters for Banners, as shown below.
- Help. Display this help screen.
- Save. Saves your settings.
- Cancel. Cancels your changes.
- Purchase Type. This is used to indicate how the banner client purchased the display time for the banner - monthly, yearly, etc...
- Track Impressions. Whether or not to count how many times a Banner is displayed.
- Track Clicks. Whether or not to count how many times a Banner is clicked.
- Meta Keyword Prefix. When matching keywords (for matching Banners to Articles based on Keywords), only search for keywords with this prefix. This can improve performance.
Banners, Categories, Clients and Tracks Links
At the top left, above the Filter, you will see the following four links:
- Banners. Click this link to go to the Banners Manager page.
- Categories. This link is disabled, since you are already in the Categories page.
- Clients. Click this link to go to the Banner Clients Manager page.
- Tracks. Click this link to go to the Banner Tracks Manager page.
Below the list of categories is the batch processing section:
- Set Access Level. Use this drop-down list to select an access level.
- Select Category for Move/Copy. Use this drop-down list to select a category to move or copy the selected categories to. Use the radio button to select either a move or copy operation.
- Process. Press this button to execute your batch processing settings for the selected categories.
- Clear. Reset your batch processing settings selections.
- You must add at least one Banner Client and Banner Category before you can add a Banner.