Users Access Levels
How to access
You can access the User Manager by clicking on the User Manager icon in the Control Panel, or by clicking on 'Users' in the 'Site' menu on the back-end of your Joomla! installation.
In this screen you have the ability to look at a list of your users and sort them in different ways. You can also edit and create users, groups and access levels.
In the table containing the users from your Joomla! site, you will see different columns. Here you can read what they mean and what is displayed in that column.
- Checkbox. Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing.
- Level Name. The name of the access level.
- Ordering. The order in which to display items. If the list is sorted by this column, you can change the order by clicking the arrows or by entering the sequential order and clicking the 'Save Order' icon.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, and you cannot change this number. When creating a new item, this field displays 0 until you save the new entry, at which point a new ID is assigned to it.
- Display #. This list box shows at the bottom of the screen, below the list of items. You can select the number of items to display on one page. If there are more items than this number, you can use the page navigation buttons (Start, Prev, Next, End, and page numbers) to navigate between pages. Note that if you have a large number of items, it may be helpful to use the Filter options, located above the column headings, to limit which items display.
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- New. Creates a new item and opens the editing screen for this item.
- Edit. Opens the editing screen for the selected item. If more than one item is selected (where applicable), only the first item will be opened. An item can also be opened for editing by clicking on its Title or Name.
- Delete. To delete one or more access levels, select them and click Delete. The selected levels will be deleted. Note that you cannot delete an access level that is currently being used. If you try to delete an access level that is assigned, a message showing where it is assigned will display.
- Options. Opens the Options window where default settings for Users can be edited. See Users Options.
- Help. Opens this Help Screen.
Filter by Partial Access Level Name
- Search Viewing Access Levels. In the upper left is a Search field and two buttons, as shown below.
Enter part of the level's name and press the Search to find matching names. Press Reset to clear the search field and restore the list of levels.
- Click on the name of an access level to edit it.
- Click on the Column Headers to sort the users by that column, ascending or descending.