Components Banners Categories
From Joomla! Documentation
Components Help Screens
This screen is accessed from the back-end Joomla! administrator panel. It is used to add or edit banner categories.
How to Access
- Select Components → Banners → Categories from the drop-down menu of the Joomla! Administrator Panel. You can also select the 'Categories' menu link from the Banner Manager, Banner Clients Manager or the Banner Tracks Manager.
The Banner Category Manager is where you can edit existing Banner Categories and create new ones. Note that Banner Categories are separate from other Categories, such as for Articles, Contacts, News Feeds, and Web Links. From this screen you can navigate to the Banner Manager, Banner Clients Manager and the Banner Tracks Manager. You must add at least one Banner Client and Banner Category before you can add a Banner.
Click on the column heading to sort the list by that column's value.
- Checkbox. Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing.
- Title. The name of the Category. This entry is required. You can open the item for editing by clicking on the Title.
- State: State of the item. Possible values are:
- Published: The item is published. This is the only state that will allow regular website users to view this item.
- Unpublished: The item is unpublished.
- Archived: The item has been archived.
- Trashed: The item has been sent to the Trash.
- Ordering. The order to display items. If the list is sorted by this column, you can change the order by clicking the arrows or by entering the sequential order and clicking the 'Save Order' icon. Note that the display order on a page is set in the Parameters - Advanced section for each Menu Item. If that order is set to use something other than 'Order' (for example, 'Title - Alphabetical'), then the order value in this screen will be ignored. If the Menu Item Order parameter is set to use 'Order', then the items will display on the page based on the order in this screen.
- Access. The minimum access level that has the ability to view this category's banners.
- Language. The language of the banner.
- ID. The ID number. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, for example in internal links. You can not change this number.
- Display #. The number of items to display on one page. If there are more items than this number, you can use the page navigation buttons (Start, Prev, Next, End, and page numbers) to navigate between pages. Note that if you have a large number of items, it may be helpful to use the Filter options, located above the column headings, to limit which items display (where applicable).
Filter by Partial Title or ID
- Filter by Partial Title or ID. In the upper left is a filter field and two buttons, as shown below.
- To filter by partial title, enter part of the title and click Search.
- To filter by ID number, enter "id:xx", where "xx" is the ID number (for example, "id:9").
- Click Clear to clear the Filter field and restore the list to its unfiltered state.
Filter by Max Levels, State, Access or Language
In the upper right area, above the column headings, there are four drop-down boxes as shown below:
Only items matching the selected Max Levels, State, Access and/or Language will display in the list.
- Filter by Max Levels (Category Level). Lets you show only items whose category is at or above the specified level in the category hierarchy.
- - Select Max Levels -: Show all items regardless of level of their assigned category.
- 1: Only show items whose category is at the top level in the category hierarchy (in other words, with categories whose parent category is "- No Parent -".)
- 2-10: Only show items whose category is in the top 2-10 levels in the category hierarchy.
- Filter by Published Status. Lets you show only items with the selected published status.
- - Select Status -: Shows items that are Published and Unpublished. Does not show items that are Trashed or Archived.
- Published: Shows only items that are Published.
- Unpublished: Shows only items that are Unpublished.
- Archived: Shows only items that are Archived.
- Trashed: Shows only items that are Trashed. Important Note: To permanently delete items:
- Change the status of the items to Trashed.
- Change the Status filter to Trashed. At this point the trashed items will show and an icon called "Empty trash" will show in the toolbar.
- Select the desired trashed items and click on "Empty Trash" in the toolbar. The items will be permanently deleted.
- All: Shows all items regardless of published status.
- Filter by Viewing Access Level. Lets you show only items that have a specified viewing access level. The list box will show the access levels defined for your site, similar to the example below.
- - Select Access -: Show items with any viewing access level.
- <your access level>: Show items only with this viewing access level.
- Filter by Language. Lets you show only items that have a specific language assigned. The list box will show the languages defined for your site, similar to the example below.
- - Select Language - or All: Show items for any language.
- <your language>: Show items only for this language.
- Page Controls. When the number of items is more than one page, you will see a page control bar as shown below.
- Display #: Select the number of items to show on one page.
- Start: Click to go to the first page.
- Prev: Click to go to the previous page.
- Page numbers: Click to go to the desired page.
- Next: Click to go to the next page.
- End: Click to go to the last page.
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- New. Opens the editing screen to create a new banner category.
- Edit. Opens the editing screen for the selected banner category. If more than one banner category is selected (where applicable), only the first banner category will be opened. The editing screen can also be opened by clicking on the Title or Name of the banner category.
- Publish. Makes the selected banner categories available to visitors to your website.
- Unpublish. Makes the selected banner categories unavailable to visitors to your website.
- Archive. Changes the status of the selected banner categories to indicate that they are archived. Archived banner categories can be moved back to the published or unpublished state by selecting "Archived" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the banner categories to Published or Unpublished as preferred.
- Check In. Checks-in the selected banner categories. Works with one or multiple banner categories selected.
- Trash. Changes the status of the selected banner categories to indicate that they are trashed. Trashed banner categories can still be recovered by selecting "Trashed" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the banner categories to Published or Unpublished as preferred. To permanently delete trashed banner categories, select "Trashed" in the Select Status filter, select the banner categories to be permanently deleted, then click the Empty Trash toolbar icon. Note: Only empty banner categories can be trashed.
- Rebuild. Reconstructs and refreshes the banner category table. Normally, you do not need to rebuild this table. This function is provided in case the data in the table becomes corrupted.
- Options. Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters or permissions can be edited.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
Click the Options button to open the Banner Manager Options window which lets you configure this component.
Buttons Common to All Tabs
- Save. Saves the banner options and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the banner options and closes the current screen.
- Cancel/Close. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made.
Client Options Tab
- Purchase Type. (Unlimited/Yearly/Monthly/Weekly/Daily) This is used to indicate how the banner client purchased the display time for the banner
- Track Impressions. (Yes/No) Whether or not to count how many times a Banner is displayed.
- Track Clicks. (Yes/No) Whether or not to count how many times a Banner is clicked.
- Meta Keyword Prefix. When matching keywords (for matching Banners to Articles based on Keywords), only search for keywords with this prefix. This can improve performance.
This screen allows you to set the component permissions in Joomla. This is important to consider if you have sites with many different user categories all of whom need to have different accessibilities to the component. The screenshot below describes what you should see and the text below that describes what each permission level gives the user access to:
You work on one Group at a time by opening the slider for that group. You change the permissions in the Select New Settings drop-down list boxes. The options for each value are Inherited, Allowed, or Denied. The Calculated Setting column shows you the setting in effect. It is either Not Allowed (the default), Allowed, or Denied. Note that the Calculated Setting column is not updated until you press the Save button in the toolbar. To check that the settings are what you want, press the Save button and check the Calculated Settings column.
The default values used here are the ones set in the Global Configuration Permissions Tab
- Open the banners component option screens (the modal window these options are in)
- Access Administration Interface
- Open the banners component manger screens
- Create new banners in the component
- Delete existing banners in the component
- Edit existing banners in the component
- Edit State
- Change an banners state (Publish, Unpublish, Archive, and Trash) in the component.
There are two very important points to understand from this screen. The first is to see how the permissions can be inherited from the parent Group. The second is to see how you can control the default permissions by Group and by Action. This provides a lot of flexibility. For example, if you wanted Shop Suppliers to be able to have the ability to create an article about their product, you could just change their Create value to "Allowed". If you wanted to not allow members of Administrator group to delete objects or change their state, you would change their permissions in these columns to Inherited (or Denied). It is also important to understand that the ability to have child groups is completely optional. It allows you to save some time when setting up new groups. However, if you like, you can set up all groups to have Public as the parent and not inherit any permissions from a parent group.
Below the list of categories is the batch processing section:
- Set Access Level. Use this drop-down list to select an access level.
- Set Language. Use this drop-down list to select a language.
- Select Category for Move/Copy. Use this drop-down list to select a category to move or copy the selected categories to. Use the radio button to select either a move or copy operation.
- Process. Press this button to execute your batch processing settings for the selected categories.
- Clear. Reset your batch processing settings selections.
At the top left, above the Filter, you will see the following four links:
- Banners. This link is disabled, since you are already in the Banners page.
- Categories. Click this link to go to the Banner Category Manager page.
- Clients. Click this link to go to the Banner Client Manager page.
- Tracks. Click this link to go to the Banner Tracks Manager page.
- You must add at least one Banner Client and Banner Category before you can add a Banner.