Components Contacts Contacts Edit
From Joomla! Documentation
Components Help Screens
This screen is accessed from the back-end Joomla! administrator panel. It is used to create or edit contacts in your Joomla! website.
How to Access
To 'add' a new Contact or 'edit' an existing Contact, navigate to the Contact Manager:
- Select Components → Contacts → Contacts
Click the 'New' button to create a new Contact.
To 'Edit' an existing Contact, in Contact Manager click on an Contacts Title or click the Contacts check box and then click the Edit button in the Toolbar.
This is where you can add a Contact or edit an existing Contact. Contacts allow you to list people on your web site. They also allow users to send e-mails to those people.
Details and Options
In this section, you can enter information about the Contact, such as name, address, e-mail, and so on. The options allow you to control settings such as what information gets displayed for each Contact.
This section will be labelled New Contact if you are creating a new contact. If you are editing an existing contact this section will be labeled Edit Contact.
- Name. The full name of the Contact.
- Alias. The internal name of the item, also used in the URL when SEF is activated. Normally, you can leave this blank and Joomla! will fill in a default value. The default value is the Title or Name in lower case and with dashes instead of spaces. You may enter the Alias manually. The Alias should consist of lowercase letters and hyphens (-). No blank spaces or underscores are allowed. Non-Latin characters can be allowed in the alias if you set the Unicode Aliases option to Yes in Global Configuration. If this option is set to No and the title includes non-Latin characters, the Alias will default to the current date and time (for example "2012-12-31-17-54-38").
- Linked User. Select the User, if any, that this Contact is linked to from the drop-down list box. This allows you to link this Contact's information to a registered Joomla! User. If this Contact is not linked to a User, select "-No User-".
- Category. The Category this item belongs to.
- State: State of the item. Possible values are:
- Published: The item is published. This is the only state that will allow regular website users to view this item.
- Unpublished: The item is unpublished.
- Archived: The item has been archived.
- Trashed: The item has been sent to the Trash.
- Access. The viewing level access for this item.
- Ordering. The order in which to display items. You can sort the list by order number by clicking on the Ordering label in the column heading. If the list is sorted by this column, you can change the order by clicking the arrows or by entering the sequential order and clicking the 'Save Order' icon. This is shown in the screen below.
- Featured. If marked yes, the item will be displayed in featured view.
- Language. Item language.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, and you cannot change this number. When creating a new item, this field displays 0 until you save the new entry, at which point a new ID is assigned to it.
- Other Information. Other information about this Contact. No HTML is allowed in this field.
- Created by. Name of the Joomla! User who created this item. This will default to the currently logged-in user. If you want to change this to a different user, click the Select User button to select a different user.
- Created By Alias. This optional field allows you to enter in an alias for this Author for this Article. This allows you to display a different Author name for this Article.
- Created Date. This field defaults to the current time when the Article was created. You can enter in a different date and time or click on the calendar icon to find the desired date.
- Start Publishing. Date and time to start publishing. Use this field if you want to enter content ahead of time and then have it published automatically at a future time.
- Finish Publishing. Date and time to finish publishing. Use this field if you want to have content automatically changed to Unpublished state at a future time (for example, when it is no longer applicable).
- Image. Image to display for this Contact. Select an image file from the drop-down list box. This lists images in the 'images/stories' folder. Images can be uploaded using the Media Manager.
- Contact's Position: The Contact's current position.
- E-mail. The Contact's e-mail address. Note that e-mail addresses in Joomla! can be protected from "spambots" by enabling "Content-Email Cloaking" in the Plug-in Manager. This is enabled by default.
- Address. The Contact's street address.
- City or Suburb. The Contact's town or suburb.
- State or Province. The Contact's state or county.
- Postal / ZIP Code. The Contact's postal code.
- Country. The Contact's country.
- Telephone. The Contact's phone number.
- Mobile. The Contact's mobile phone number.
- Fax. The Contact's fax number.
- Website. The Contact's web site address.
- First Sort Field. The part of the name to use as the first sort field.
- Second Sort Field. The part of the name to use as the second sort field.
- Third Sort Field. The part of the name to use as the third sort field.
- Contact Category. (Use Global/Hide/Show Without Link/Show With Link) Shows or Hides the contacts category with or without a link.
- Show Contact List. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or Hide a drop down allowing the selection of any other contact from the same category.
- Display format. (Use Global/Sliders/Tabs/Plain) Determines the style used to display sections of the contact form.
- Name. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or Hide the name of the contact.
- Position. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or Hide the position of the contact.
- Email. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or Hide the email of the contact.
- Street Address. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or Hide the street address of the contact.
- City or Suburb. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or Hide the city or suburb of the contact.
- State or County. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or Hide the State or County of the contact.
- Postal Code. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or Hide the Postal/ZIP code of the contact.
- Country. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or Hide the Country of the contact.
- Telephone. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or Hide the telephone number of the contact.
- Mobile Phone. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or Hide the mobile number of the contact.
- Fax. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or Hide the fax number of the contact.
- Webpage. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or Hide the Webpage of the contact.
- Miscellaneous Information. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or Hide the Miscellaneous Information of the contact (note this is called Contact Information in the Contact Component).
- Image. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or Hide an image to be displayed with this item/category in the front-end.
- vCard. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or Hide the vCard (electronic business card) link for this Contact. Note that the "Enable vCard" option in the Contact Manager - Options must be set to "Show" for this option to work correctly.
- Show User Articles. (Use Global/Hide/Show) If the contact selected has a Joomla profile linked - then all the articles that user has posted will be displayed.
- Show Profile. (Use Global/Show/Hide) If this contact is mapped to a user, and if this is set to Show, then the profile of this user will show.
- Show Links. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show extra links for the contact (see the parameters below).
- Link A Label. (Input Field) Label for an additional link for this contact.
- Link B Label Same as Link A label
- Link C Label Same as Link A label
- Link D Label Same as Link A label
- Link E Label Same as Link A label
- Alternative Layout. If you have defined one or more alternative layouts for a contact either in the template or Joomla! Core, you can select the layout to use for this contact. See Layout Overrides in Joomla 2.5 for more information about alternative layouts.
- Show Contact Form. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or Hide contact form.
- Send Copy to Submitter. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or Hide checkbox to allow copy of email to be sent to submitter.
- Banned Email. Email addresses not allowed to submit information with the contact form.
- Banned Subject. Subjects not allowed in contact form.
- Banned Text. Text not allowed in contact form body.
- Session Check. (Use Global/No/Yes) Check for the existence of session cookie. This means that users without cookies enabled will not be able to send emails.
- Custom Reply. (Use Global/No/Yes) Turns off the automated reply, allowing for Plugins to handle integration with other systems.
- Contact Redirect. Enter an alternative email address, where information will be sent to.
- Meta Description. An optional paragraph to be used as the description of the page in the HTML output. This will generally display in the results of search engines. If entered, this creates an HTML meta element with a name attribute of "description" and a content attribute equal to the entered text.
- Meta Keywords. Optional entry for keywords. Must be entered separated by commas (for example, "cats, dogs, pets") and may be entered in upper or lower case. (For example, "CATS" will match "cats" or "Cats"). Keywords can be used in several ways:
- To help Search Engines and other systems classify the content of the Article.
- In combination with Banner tags, to display specific Banners based on the Article content. For example, say you have one Banner with an ad for dog products and another Banner for cat products. You can have your dog Banner display when a User is viewing a dog-related Article and your cat Banner display for a cat-related Article. To do this, you would:
- For articles only, in combination with the Related Articles module, to display Articles that share at least one keyword in common. For example, if the current Article displayed has the keywords "cats, dogs, monkeys", any other Articles with at least one of these keywords will show in the Related Articles module.
- Robots. The instructions for web "robots" that browse to this page.
- Use Global: Use the value set in the Component→Options for this component.
- Index, Follow: Index this page and follow the links on this page.
- No index, Follow: Do not index this page, but still follow the links on the page. For example, you might do this for a site map page where you want the links to be indexed but you don't want this page to show in search engines.
- Index, No follow: Index this page, but do not follow any links on the page. For example, you might want to do this for an events calendar, where you want the page to show in search engines but you do not want to index each event.
- No index, no follow: Do not index this page or follow any links on the page.
- Rights. The publication rights for the item.
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- Save. Saves the contact and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the contact and closes the current screen.
- Save & New. Saves the contact and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another contact.
- Cancel/Close. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
- At least one Contact Category must be added before adding the first Contact.