Extensions Module Manager Language Switcher
From Joomla! Documentation
How to Access
To 'add' a new Language Switcher module or 'edit' an existing Language Switcher module, navigate to the Module Manager:
- Select Extensions → Module Manager
Click the 'New' button and click on Language Switcher in the modal popup window.
To 'Edit' an existing Language Switcher module, in the Module Manager click on an Language Switcher Modules Title or click the Language Switcher modules check box and then click the Edit button in the Toolbar.
This module allows you to switch between available Content languages. Selecting a language will take you to the home page for that language. The plugin 'System - Language Filter' has to be enabled for this to work. Please see this tutorial on how to configure your site to work in a multilingual mode.
Details and Options
- Title. The title of the module. This is also the title displayed in the front end for the module depending on the Show Title Form Field
- Show Title. (Show/Hide) Choose whether to show or hide the modules title in the front end. The title will be the one in the Form Field above.
- Module Position. Choose the module position you wish this module to be displayed in. A custom module position can be entered for use with the load position plugin or the position button can be pressed to select a module position from the template.
- Status. (Published/Unpublished/Archived/Trashed) The published status of the item.
- Access. The viewing level access for this item.
- Module Ordering. This shows a drop down of every module in the position that the current module is in. This is the order that the modules will display in when displayed on in the front end as well as in the Module Manager.
- Start Publishing. Date and time to start publishing. Use this field if you want to enter content ahead of time and then have it published automatically at a future time.
- Finish Publishing. Date and time to finish publishing. Use this field if you want to have content automatically changed to Unpublished state at a future time (for example, when it is no longer applicable).
- Language. Item language.
- Note. Item note. This is normally for the site administrator's use (for example, to document information about this item) and does not show in the front end of the site.
- Pre-text: Enter the text that appears before the Language Switcher
- Post-text: Enter the text that appears below the Language Switcher.
- Use Dropdown. (Yes/No) Use a dropdown display of languages. If this is set to yes - all the options below this are ignored.
- Use image flags: (Yes/No) Use visual indicators for each language, in the shape of a flag.
- Horizontal Display. (Yes/No) Choose whether to display the languages horizontally in the module
- Active Language. (Yes/No) Choose whether to display the language currently being used by the user in the dropdown
- Languages Full Names. (Yes/No) If use image flags is set to No then this option allows the choice of the language being displayed in long or short form (e.g. EN or English).
- Alternative Layout. If you have defined one or more alternative layouts for a module either in the template or Joomla! Core, you can select the layout to use for this module. See Layout Overrides in Joomla 2.5 for more information about alternative layouts.
- Module Class Suffix. Setting this parameter causes Joomla! to either add a new CSS class or modify the existing CSS class for the div element for this specific module. See here for more information
- Caching. (Use Global/No Caching) Choose whether you wish to cache the contents of the module.
- Cache Time. The time before a module is recached.
On the left there is a list of menu items. You can chose between None, All and Select Menu Item(s) from the List. To assign to some but not all pages choose the third option and select the menu links that you want the module associated with. See How do you assign a module to specific pages? for more information
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- Save. Saves the module and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the module and closes the current screen.
- Save & New. Saves the module and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another module.
- Save as Copy. Saves your changes to a copy of the current module. Does not affect the current module. This toolbar icon is not shown if you are creating a new module.
- Cancel/Close. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
Front End Screenshot
Example Front End Site images are generic images using Joomla! core installation supplied free Front End Templates. The actual view can depend on the installed custom template used and the template's style for those views on a Joomla! website. Language Switcher module shown:
The Module Type name for this Module is "mod_languages". It is not related to any other component.