Menus Menu Item Newsfeed Category
Used to show all of the published Newsfeeds in a given Category. Note that Newsfeed Categories are separate from Article Categories. Newsfeed Categories are entered by selecting Components/Newsfeeds. See Newsfeed Category Manager and Feeds Manager for more information.
How To Access
To create a new Category List Menu Item:
- Select Menus → [name of the menu] from the drop-down menu on the back-end of your Joomla! installation (for example, Menus → Main Menu).
- Click New to create a new menu item or click on an existing item to edit.
- Click the Menu Item Type Select button and then click the List News Feeds in a category link under Newsfeeds.
To edit an existing Newsfeed Category Menu Item, click its Title in Menu Manager: Menu Items.
Used to show newsfeeds belonging to a specific Category in a list layout.
This layout requires that you select a category. This is done in the list box shown below.
- Choose a category. Select one Category from the list box.
The Category Options control the way that category information is shown in the layout. The Category List Layout has the following Category Options, as shown below.
- Category Title. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Whether to hide or show the title of the category.
- Category Description. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Description of this category, which can optionally be displayed in the front-end.
- Category Image. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Whether to hide or show the category image.
- Subcategory Levels. (Use Global/All/1-5) The number of levels of subcategories to show in the layout. Select All to show all levels in the subcategory hierarchy.
- Empty Categories. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Whether to hide or show the categories that contain no content items or subcategories.
- Subcategories Descriptions. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Whether to hide or show the category description of subcategories.
- # Feeds in Category. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Whether to hide or show the count of feeds in the category.
List Layout Options control the appearance of the list layout.
- Display #. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Whether to hide or show the Display # control that allows the user to select the number of items to show in the list. An example is shown below.
- Table Headings. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Table Headings show a heading above the article list, as shown below.
- # Articles in Feed. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Whether to hide or show the count of articles in each feed.
- Feed Links. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Whether to hide or show the feed links url.
- Pagination. Hide or Show Pagination support. Pagination provides page links at the bottom of the page that allow the User to navigate to additional pages. These are needed if the Articles will not fit on one page. An example is shown below.
- Use Global: Use the default value from the component options screen.
- Auto: Pagination links shown if needed.
- Show: Pagination links shown if needed.
- Hide: Pagination links not shown. Note: In this case, Users will not be able to navigate to additional pages.
- Pagination Results. Hide or Show the current page number and total pages (e.g., "Page 1 of 2") at the bottom of each page. Use Global will use the default value from the component options.
Feed Display Options
The Category Layout has the following Newsfeed Options, as shown below. These options determine how the newsfeeds will show in the list layout.
In addition to Yes/No or Hide/Show, these options allow the following settings.
- Use Global: Use the default value from Newsfeed Manager Options.
The Newsfeed Options are as follows:
- Feed Image. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or hide images in the feed.
- Feed Description. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or Hide the Feed Description.
- Feed Content. (Use Global/Hide/Show) Show or Hide the Feed Content.
- Character Count. (Integer) The number of characters to display for the feed.
- Feed Display Order. (Use Global/Most Recent First/Oldest First) Choose the order to display the feed.
See Menu Item Manager: New Menu Item for help on fields common to all Menu Item types, including Details, Link Type Options, Page Display Options, Metadata Options, and Module Assignments for this Menu Item.
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- Save. Saves the menu item and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the menu item and closes the current screen.
- Save & New. Saves the menu item and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another menu item.
- Save as Copy. Saves your changes to a copy of the current menu item. Does not affect the current menu item. This toolbar icon is not shown if you are creating a new menu item.
- Cancel/Close. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
- The Category layout is a convenient way to list a compact directory of newsfeeds in a category that can include filtering and searching.