Menus Menu Item Article Create
- 1 How To Access
- 2 Description
- 3 Screenshot
- 4 Details
- 5 Toolbar
- 6 Front End Screenshots
- 7 Quick Tips
- 8 Related Information
How To Access
To create a new Create Article Menu Item:
- Select Menus → [name of the menu] from the drop-down menu on the back-end of your Joomla! installation (for example, Menus → Main Menu).
- Click the New Toolbar button to create a new menu item.
- Click the Menu Item Type Select button and then click the Create Article Menu Item link under Articles link.
To edit an existing Create Article Menu Item, click its Title in Menu Manager: Menu Items.
Allows users to submit an article. Normally this is available only to users who have logged in to the front end of the site. Users must have permission to create articles. When the Create Article page is shown in the front end, the screen shows as examples in the following Front End Screenshots section.
For more information please see Menu Item Manager: Details Tab
This menu item only requires the following after selecting the menu item type. A category or multiple categories to include are selected in the Layout Options section under the Advanced Tab.
- Menu Title: The title that will display for this menu item.
- Parent Item: The menu that this menu item (choice) will be part of. The menus defined for the site will show in the list box.
The Create Article has two options, as shown below.
- Default Category. If Yes, all articles created will be assigned to the specified category and the user will not be able to select a category. If No, the user may select the category from the list box. Note that only categories for which the user has Create permission will show in the list box.
- Choose a category. Select one Category from the list box.
Module Assignments Tab
At the top left you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- Save: Saves the menu item and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the menu item and closes the current screen.
- Save & New. Saves the menu item and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another menu item.
- Save as Copy. Saves your changes to a copy of the current menu item. Does not affect the current menu item. This toolbar icon is not shown if you are creating a new menu item.
- Cancel. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
Front End Screenshots
Example Front End Site images are generic images using Joomla! core installation supplied free Front End Templates. The actual view can depend on the installed custom template used and the template's style for those views on a Joomla! website.
Editor Tab View
Publishing Tab View
Language Tab View
Metadata Tab View
- An unauthorised user will normally get an error if they click on a Create Article menu item. For this reason, it is normal practice to give the menu item a viewing access level that can only be seen by users authorised to add articles.
- To create a new user: User Manager: Add or Edit User
- To change global ACL permissions for a Group: Global Configuation Permissions
- To change article ACL permissions for a Group: Article Manager Permissions
- To assign Groups to Viewing Access Levels: User Manager:Add / Edit Viewing Access Level
|Related Help Screens||Description|
|Components Article Manager Options||Used to set global defaults for menu items that display articles. These default values will be used when "Use Global" is selected for an option in an Articles menu item. For example, to show the 'Create Date' for an article in your Articles menu items, then set that option to "Show" here and it will be the default value. You do not need to set any of these options. Your Joomla site will work with the default settings.|
|Content Article Manager||The Article Manager is used to find, mark featured, add and edit articles. See Toolbar below for a detailed list of all functions.|
|Content Article Manager Edit||This is the back-end screen where you can add and edit Articles. The same screen is used for adding a new Article and editing an existing Article. You can also select the Category for an Article and indicate whether or not it is Published and if it is selected to appear on the Front Page.
The Article's content is edited using the default editor selected in the User Manager - New/Edit. The Joomla! default editor is called TinyMCE. A number of Parameters can be set for the Article. Metadata can also be entered.
|Content Featured Articles||Used to control which 'Featured Articles' are displayed on the Front Page and in what order they are displayed. The Front Page is often the Home page of a web site, but it can be any page in the site. The Front Page is created using a Menu Item with the 'Featured Articles' Menu Item Type.|
|Menus Menu Item Article Archived||Used to show a list of Archived Articles. The Archived Article list can be displayed by date, filtered, and intro text added as shown below.|
|Menus Menu Item Article Categories||Used to show a list of Categories. Categories are shown in a hierarchical list, as shown below. Depending on the selected options for this layout, you can click on a category Title to show the articles in that category.|
|Menus Menu Item Article Category Blog||Used to show articles belonging to a specific Category in a blog layout. Controls the Introduction or Leading Article, additional Articles with intro text, and additional links to more Articles in the same category. Some examples of settings for the Blog Layout format include: number of articles, article columns, across or down layouts, and number of additional links. See the Advanced Details Tab for all this menu item.|
|Menus Menu Item Article Category List||Used to show articles belonging to a specific Category in a list layout.|
|Menus Menu Item Article Featured||Used to show all Articles that have been tagged as Featured. Articles are shown in a Blog Layout.|
|Menus Menu Item Article Single Article||Used to show one article in the front end of the site.|