Help310:Components Fields Field Groups Edit
From Joomla! Documentation
This is where you can
- Add a new Field Group.
- Edit an existing Field Group.
How to Access
Add a new Field Group
- Select from the dropdown menu at the top Articles or Category
- Click the New button in the toolbar.
Edit an existing Field Group
- Click on an Field Groups Title.
- Check the Field Groups Checkbox
- Click the Edit button in the toolbar.
This section allows you to enter parameters for this Field Group.
- Title. The name or title of the field group. Make it as descriptive as possible.
These entries are optional. Joomla automatically creates default entries for these values.
- Description. A description of the field group that will be displayed in the label tooltip.
- Status. (Published/Unpublished/Archived/Trashed) The published status of the field group.
- Access. Who has access to this field group.
- Public: Everyone has access.
- Guest: Everyone has access.
- Registered: Only registered users have access.
- Special: Only users with author status or higher have access.
- Super Users: Only super users have access.
- Language. Select the language for this field group. If you are not using the multi-language feature of Joomla, keep the default of All.
- Note. Field Group note. This is normally for the site administrator's use (for example, to document information about this field group) and does not show in the Frontend of the site.
- Created Date. This field defaults to the current time when the field group was created. You can enter in a different date and time or click on the calendar icon to find the desired date.
- Created By. Name of the user who created the field group. This will default to the currently logged-in user. If you want to change this to a different user, click the 'Select User' button .
- Modified Date. (Informative only) Date of last modification.
- Modified By. (Informative only) Username who performed the last modification.
- ID. (Informative only) This is a unique identification number for this field group.
- Display When Read-Only. Whether to display the field on forms when read-only. Inherit defaults to value set in field group.
Joomla lets you set permissions for field groups at 4 levels, as follows.
- Globally, using Global Configuration.
- For all articles, using Article Manager→Options.
- For all articles in a category, using Category Manager.
- For an individual article, using Article Edit.
Manage the permission settings for user groups.
To change the permissions for this field group, do the following.
- 1. Select the Group by clicking its title located on the left.
- 2. Find the desired Action. Possible Actions are:
- Create. Users can create content of this field group.
- Delete. Users can delete content of this field group.
- Edit. Users can edit content of this field group.
- Edit State. Users can change the published state and related information for content of this field group.
- Edit Own. Users can edit own created content of this field group.
- Edit Custom Field Value. Allows users in the group to edit any value of custom fields submitted in this field group.
- 3. Select the desired Permission for the action you wish to change. Possible settings are:
- Inherited: Inherited for users in this Group from the Article permissions of this field group.
- Allowed: Allowed for users in this Group. Note that, if this action is Denied at one of the higher levels, the Allowed permission here will not take effect. A Denied setting cannot be overridden.
- Denied: Denied for users in this Group.
- 4. Click Save in Toolbar at top. When the screen refreshes, the Calculated Setting column will show the effective permission for this Group and Action.
At the top left you will see the toolbar.
The functions are:
- Save. Saves the field group and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the field group and closes the current screen.
- Save & New. Saves the field group and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another field group.
- Save as Copy. Saves your changes to a copy of the current field group. Does not affect the current field group.Note: This toolbar icon is only shown if you edit an existing field group.
- Close. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
If you want to know how to use Custom Fields, click Adding Custom Fields.