Help310:Components Newsfeeds Categories Edit
From Joomla! Documentation
This is where you can
- Add a new News Feed Category.
- Edit an existing News Feed Category.
There must be at least one News Feed Category before a News Feed can be created.
How to Access
Add a new News Feed Category
- Click the New button in the toolbar.
Edit an existing News Feed Category
- Click on an News Feeds Category's Title.
- Check the News Feeds Category's Checkbox
- Click the Edit button in the toolbar.
- Title. The Title for the category.
- Alias. The internal name of the category. Normally, you can leave this blank and Joomla will fill in a default value. The default value is the Title or Name in lower case and with dashes instead of spaces. You may enter the Alias manually. Learn more about Aliases.
- Description. Enter an optional description for the category in the text-area. Learn more about the Editor.
- Parent. The category that is the parent of the category being edited.
- Status. The published status of this category.
- Published: Category is visible in the Frontend of the site.
- Unpublished: Category will not be visible to guests in the Frontend of the site. It may be visible to logged in users who have edit state permission for the category.
- Archived: Category will no longer show on blog or list menu items.
- Trashed: Category is deleted from the site but still in the database. It can be permanently deleted from the database with the Empty Trash function in category Manager.
- Access. Who has access to this category. Default options are:
- Public: Everyone has access.
- Guest: Everyone has access.
- Registered: Only registered users have access.
- Special: Only users with author status or higher have access.
- Super Users: Only super users have access.
- Language. Select the language for this category. If you are not using the multi-language feature of Joomla, keep the default of All.
- Tags. Enter one or more optional tags for this category. You can select existing tags by entering in the first few letters. You may also create new tags by entering them here. Tags allow you to see lists of related items across content types (for example, articles, contacts, and categories).
- Note. Category note. This is normally for the site administrator's use (for example, to document information about this category) and does not show in the Frontend of the site.
- Version Note. Optional field to identify this version of the category in the category's Version History window.
This shows Options for this Category.
- Layout. (Use Global/Default) Use a different layout from the supplied component view or overrides in the templates.
- Image. Click on Select to select an image to display with this Category in the Frontend.
- Alt Text. Alternative text to use for visitors who don't have access to images.
This section shows Publishing Options parameters for this Category.
The grayed out fields are for information only and may not be edited.
- Created Date. Date the category was created.
- Created By. Name of the Joomla User who created the category. This will default to the currently logged-in user. If you want to change this to a different user, click the 'Select User' button .
- Modified Date. (Informative only) Date of last modification.
- Modified By. (Informative only) Username who performed the last modification.
- Hits. The number of times an category has been viewed.
- Meta Description. An optional paragraph to be used as the description of the page in the HTML output. This will generally display in the results of search engines. If entered, this creates an HTML meta element with a name attribute of "description" and a content attribute equal to the entered text.
- Meta Keywords. Optional entry for keywords. Must be entered separated by commas (for example, "cats, dogs, pets") and may be entered in upper or lower case. (For example, "CATS" will match "cats" or "Cats"). Learn more about Meta Keywords.
- Author. Optional entry for an Author name within the metadata. If entered, this creates an HTML meta element with the name attribute of "author" and the content attribute as entered here.
- Robots. The instructions for web "robots" that browse to this page.
- Use Global: Use the value set in Global Configuration → Site → Metadata Settings.
- index, follow: Index this page and follow the links on this page.
- noindex, follow: Do not index this page, but still follow the links on the page. For example, you might do this for a site map page where you want the links to be indexed but you don't want this page to show in search engines.
- index, nofollow: Index this page, but do not follow any links on the page. For example, you might want to do this for an events calendar, where you want the page to show in search engines but you do not want to index each event.
- noindex, nofollow: Do not index this page or follow any links on the page.
Manage the permission settings for user groups.
To change the permissions for this category, do the following.
- 1. Select the Group by clicking its title located on the left.
- 2. Find the desired Action. Possible Actions are:
- Create. Users can create content of this category.
- Delete. Users can delete content of this category.
- Edit. Users can edit content of this category.
- Edit State. Users can change the published state and related information for content of this category.
- Edit Own. Users can edit own created content of this category.
- 3. Select the desired Permission for the action you wish to change. Possible settings are:
- Inherited: Inherited for users in this Group from the news feeds options permissions of this category.
- Allowed: Allowed for users in this Group. Note that, if this action is Denied at one of the higher levels, the Allowed permission here will not take effect. A Denied setting cannot be overridden.
- Denied: Denied for users in this Group.
- 4. Click Save in Toolbar at top. When the screen refreshes, the Calculated Setting column will show the effective permission for this Group and Action.
At the top left you will see the toolbar.
The functions are:
- Save. Saves the category and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the category and closes the current screen.
- Save & New. Saves the category and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another category.
- Save as Copy. Saves your changes to a copy of the current category. Does not affect the current category. Note: This toolbar icon is only shown if you edit an existing category.
- Versions. Opens the category Version History window to show any prior versions of this item. This allows you to view older versions of this item and, if desired, restore from an older version. Learn more about Version History.
- Close. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
You must create at least one News Feed Category before you can create any News Feeds.
To work with News Feeds: News Feeds Manager