Help310:Content Article Manager
From Joomla! Documentation
Provides an overview of the Articles available on a Joomla site. The screen is used to find, add, edit and delete Articles. Also you can mark featured Articles.
How to Access
- Click the Articles button in the Control Panel.
- Select Content → Articles from the dropdown menu of the Administrator Panel.
In the table containing Articles, these are the different columns as shown below. Click on the column heading to sort the list by that column's value.
- Ordering. Up-Down Arrows. User specified ordering, default is order of articles creation. When active, drag and drop ordering by 'click and hold' on the bars icon then 'release' in desired position.
- Checkbox. Check this box to select one or more articles. To select all articles, check the box in the column heading. Note: Many toolbar actions can work with multiple articles.
- Status. Status of articles.
- Note: Featured Article is integrated in the Status column. Click on either side of icon to change published/unpublished or featured state. Whether or not the Article will show on the Featured Articles Page.
- Title. The name of the article. You can open the article for editing by clicking on the Title.
- Access. The viewing Access Level for this article. You can change an article's Access Level by clicking on its Title to open it up for editing.
- Author. Name of the Joomla User who created this article.
- Language. Article's language. If you are not using the multi-language feature of Joomla, default is 'All'.
- Date Created. The date this article was created. This date is added automatically by Joomla, but you may change it in the Publishing - tab of the Article.
- Hits. The number of times an article has been viewed.
- Votes. Number of votes for this article. Note: In Plugins the Plugin Content - Vote has to be enabled.
- Ratings. Number of ratings for this article. Note: In Plugins the Plugin Content - Vote has to be enabled.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this article assigned automatically by Joomla. It is used to identify the article internally, and you cannot change this number.
Above the column headers on the right, there are 2 dropdown input fields, Sort Table By: (preset to 'ID descending') and a number (preset to '20') to display.
These column sorting input fields shows the current method of sorting applied to the table. Use the dropdown field choices and click the column heading name. Alternatively, click on the column heading to sort the list by that column's value.
This will also change the value in the drop field to correspond with the column header name. The list will then be sorted in order by that column and a sort icon (up or down arrow) will show next to the column name. Click a second time to reverse the sort, which will change the corresponding drop field.
- ID descending (default). Shows ordering of selected column, ascending or descending.
- Number of articles to display. Shows the number of articles to display on one page, default is 20 articles. If there are more articles than this number, you can use the page navigation buttons to navigate between pages.
The List Filters are a series of controls that let you limit what articles show in the screen. More than one filter may be entered. In this case, only articles that meet all of the filter conditions will show on the list.
Filter by Partial Title or ID
In the upper left is a search field and 2 buttons.
- To filter by partial title, enter part of the title and click 'Search'
- To filter by ID number, enter "id:xx", where "xx" is the ID number (for example, "id:29").
- Click 'Clear' to clear the Filter field and restore the list to its unfiltered state.
Above the column headings, there are 7 dropdown list / combo boxes.
Filter by Status
Lets you show only articles with the selected published status.
- - Select Status -: Show only articles that are Published and Unpublished.
- Trashed: Show only articles that are Trashed. Quick Tip: Permanently delete articles
- Unpublished: Show only articles that are Unpublished.
- Published: Show only articles that are Published.
- Archived: Show only articles that are Archived.
- All: Show all articles regardless of published status.
Filter by Category
Lets you show only articles assigned to a specific category. The combo box will show the categories defined for your site.
- - Select Category -: Show articles assigned to any category.
- Uncategorised: Show only articles assigned to this category.
Filter by Access
Lets you show only articles that have a specified viewing access level. The combo box will show the access levels defined for your site.
- - Select Access -: Show articles with any viewing access level.
- Public: Show only articles with this viewing access level.
- Guest: Show only articles with this viewing access level.
- Registered: Show only articles with this viewing access level.
- Special: Show only articles with this viewing access level.
- Super Users: Show only articles with this viewing access level.
Filter by Author
Lets you show only articles that have the specified author. The list box will show the authors for your site.
- - Select Author -: Show all articles regardless of their author.
- sudo: Only show articles with the specified author.
Filter by Language
Lets you show only articles that have a specific language assigned. The list box will show the languages defined for your site.
- - Select Language -: Show articles for any language.
- All: Show articles set for 'All' languages.
- English (en-GB): Show articles only for this language.
Filter by Tag
Lets you show only articles that have a specified tag. The combo box will show the tags created for your site.
- - Select Tag -: Show articles with any (or no) tag(s).
- Joomla: Show only articles with this tag.
Filter by Max Levels (Articles Level)
Lets you show only articles at or above the specified level in the hierarchy.
- - Select Max Levels -: Show all articles.
- 1: Show only articles at the top level in the hierarchy (in other words, whose parent is '- No Parent -').
- 2: Show only articles in the top and 2nd levels in the hierarchy.
- 3: Show only articles in the top, 2nd and 3rd levels in the hierarchy.
- 4 … 8
- 9: Show only articles in the top, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 levels in the hierarchy.
- 10: Show only articles in 10 levels in the hierarchy.
Page Controls. When the number of articles is more than one page, you will see a page control bar as shown below. The current page number being viewed is shaded.
- Start: Click to go to the first page.
- Prev: Click to go to the previous page.
- Page numbers: Click to go to the desired page.
- Next: Click to go to the next page.
- End: Click to go to the last page.
At the top left you will see the toolbar.
The functions are:
- New. Opens the editing screen to create a new article.
- Edit. Opens the editing screen for the selected article. If more than one article is selected (where applicable), only the first article will be opened. The editing screen can also be opened by clicking on the Name of the article.
- Publish. Makes the selected article available to visitors to your website.
- Unpublish. Makes the selected article unavailable to visitors to your website.
- Feature. Marks selected article as featured. Works with one or multiple article selected.
- Unfeature. Changes the status of featured article to unfeatured. Works with one or multiple article selected.
- Archive. Changes the status of the selected article to indicate that they are archived. Archived article can be moved back to the published or unpublished state by selecting "Archived" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the article to Published or Unpublished as preferred.
- Check-in. Checks-in the selected article. Works with one or multiple article selected.
- Batch. Batch processes the selected article. Works with one or multiple items selected.
- Trash. Changes the status of the selected article to indicate that they are trashed. Trashed article can still be recovered by selecting 'Trashed' in the 'Select Status' filter and changing the status of the article to Published or Unpublished as preferred. To permanently delete trashed article, select 'Trashed' in the 'Select Status' filter, select the article to be permanently deleted, then click the 'Empty Trash' toolbar icon.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
- Options. Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters can be edited.
The Batch Process allows a change in settings for a group of selected articles marked with a check-mark in the corresponding check-mark boxes. To use: select one or more articles form the table of articles being viewed and click on the 'Batch' Toolbar button. This will open a pop up window as shown below.
You can change one value or all values at one time.
How to Batch Process a group of articles:
- Select one or more articles on the list by selecting the desired checkbox(es).
- Click the 'Batch' Toolbar button.
- Set one or more of the following values:
- To change the Language, select the desired language from the Set Language list box.
- To change the Access Levels, select the desired new access level from the Set Access Level list box.
- To change the Category, select a category. To leave the category unchanged, use the default value of 'Select'.
- To copy the articles to a different category, select the desired category from the category list box and check the Copy option. In this case, the original articles are unchanged and the copies are assigned to the new category and, if selected, the new language, access level and tag. Note: Changes you have selected from language, access level and tag will be applied to the copies, not the original.
- To move the articles to a different category, select the desired category from the category list box and check the Move option. In this case, the original articles will be moved to a new category and, if selected, be assigned the new language, access level and tag.
- To add a Tag, select the desired tag from the Add Tag list box.
- 4. When all of the settings are entered, click on Process to perform the changes. A message "Batch process completed successfully." will show. Note: Nothing will happen if you don't have any articles selected.
If you wish to clear your entered selections, click on the 'Cancel' button. Note: This does not uncheck the check boxes for the articles.
- To permanently delete articles:
- To see trashed and archived articles, set the Status filter to All.
- To change the ordering of articles within a category, click on the Ordering column heading to sort by this column. Also, it is easier to see the ordering if you filter on the desired category.
- If you want to know how to use Custom Fields: Tutorial "Managing Custom Fields"