From Joomla! Documentation
In the Language Manager you can set the default Language for both the Frontend and Backend of your Joomla! web site.
How to Access
Select Extensions → Language(s) from the drop-down menu on the backend of your Joomla installation or click the icon Language in the control panel.
Click on the column heading to sort the list by that column's value.
- Checkbox. Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as 'Publish', can work with multiple items. Others, such as 'Edit', only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press 'Edit', the first item will be opened for editing.
- Title. The name of the installed language.
- Native Title. The name of the installed language in that language.
- Language Tag. Language Tag of the Installed Language.
- Default. The default language of the site, marked with a yellow graphical asterisk in this column. Note: to every user a language can be assigned (see "User Management"), user from groups "Administrator" and "Super Users" can select their preferred language themself at login.
- Version. The version number of the installed language.
- Date. The creation date of the language.
- Author. The name of the language translator is displayed in this column.
- Author Email. The email address of the translator.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla. It is used to identify the item internally, and you cannot change this number. When creating a new item, this field displays 0 until you save the new entry, at which point a new ID is assigned to it.
Above the column headers on the right, there are 2 drop-down input fields, Sort Table By: (preset to 'Language ascending') and a number (preset to '20') to display.
These column sorting input fields shows the current method of sorting applied to the table. Use the drop-down field choices and click the column heading name. Alternatively, click on the column heading to sort the list by that column's value.
This will also change the value in the drop field to correspond with the column header name. The list will then be sorted in order by that column and a sort icon (up or down arrow) will show next to the column name. Click a second time to reverse the sort, which will change the corresponding drop field.
- Order. Order items will be displayed in.
- Ascending Shows ordering of selected column, ascending or descending.
- # Shows the number of items to display on one page. If there are more items than this number, you can use the page navigation buttons located at the bottom of the table (Start, Prev, Next, End, and page numbers) to navigate between pages.
Site and Administrator filter
At the top left you will see the following filter:
- Site. Filters on Site Languages. This is the default selection and allows you to manage the Languages for the frontend of the web site.
- Administrator. This allows you to manage the Languages for the backend administration of the web site.
Filter by Language
- To filter in language, enter part of the Language 'Title' or 'Language Tag' and click Search.
Click 'Clear' to clear the Filter field and restore the list to its unfiltered state.
Page Controls: When the number of items is more than one page, you will see a page control bar as shown below. The current page number being viewed is shaded.
- Start: Click to go to the first page.
- Prev: Click to go to the previous page.
- Page numbers: Click to go to the desired page.
- Next: Click to go to the next page.
- End: Click to go to the last page.
At the top you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- Default: Makes the selected language the default language. The default star symbol () will show in the Default column, indicating that this is now the default language.
- Install Languages. Links to the Install Languages Screen.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
- Options. Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters can be edited.
- Users can use any Language from the list of installed Languages, either by having it assigned in the User Manager or by filling out a Menu Item Manager - New/Edit - User Form Layout at the Frontend. This will cause the Joomla system prompts to be generated in this Language just for this User. For example, if a User chooses Spanish as their language, then the Search Module will show with prompts in Spanish.
- This User's choice is not affected by the Default Language set for the Frontend.
- Changing a User's Language or the Default Language does not affect the web site's Articles and other content.
- Important: Do not delete the default language files (for example, with FTP). This will create errors on both the Frontend and Backend.
- Additional Languages can be added using the Install Languages Screen.
- If desired, you can show the Frontend site in one Language and show the Backend administration pages in a different Language. Also, individual articles can be configured to use a different language in the Sidebar when editing the Article.
- To install more Languages: Install Languages Screen
- To uninstall a Language: Extension Manager - Manage
- To change the Language for a User: User Manager - New/Edit
- To set the Language of an Article: Article Manager - New/Edit - Parameters - Advanced