From Joomla! Documentation
Provides an overview of the user groups available on a Joomla site. The screen is used to find, add, edit and delete user groups.
How to Access
- Click the Users button in the Control Panel.
- Select Users → Groups from the dropdown menu of the Administrator Panel.
In the table containing user groups these are the different columns as shown below. Click on the column heading to sort the list by that column's value.
- Checkbox. Check this box to select one or more user groups. To select all user groups, check the box in the column heading.Note: Many toolbar actions can work with multiple user groups.
- Group Title. The name of the group.
- Enabled users. The number of enabled users in this group.
- Disabled users. The number of disabled users in this group.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this user group assigned automatically by Joomla. It is used to identify the user group internally, and you cannot change this number.
Above the column headers on the right, there are 2 dropdown input fields, Sort Table By: (preset to 'Ordering ascending') and a number (preset to '20') to display.
These column sorting input fields shows the current method of sorting applied to the table. Use the dropdown field choices and click the column heading name. Alternatively, click on the column heading to sort the list by that column's value.
This will also change the value in the drop field to correspond with the column header name. The list will then be sorted in order by that column and a sort icon (up or down arrow) will show next to the column name. Click a second time to reverse the sort, which will change the corresponding drop field.
- Ordering ascending (default). Shows ordering of selected column, ascending or descending.
- Number of user groups to display. Shows the number of user groups to display on one page, default is 20 user groups. If there are more user groups than this number, you can use the page navigation buttons to navigate between pages.
The List Filters are a series of controls that let you limit what user groups show in the screen. More than one filter may be entered. In this case, only user groups that meet all of the filter conditions will show on the list.
Filter by Partial Title or ID
In the upper left is a search field and 2 buttons.
- To filter by partial title, enter part of the title and click 'Search'
- To filter by ID number, enter "id:xx", where "xx" is the ID number (for example, "id:29").
- Click 'Clear' to clear the Filter field and restore the list to its unfiltered state.
Page Controls. When the number of user groups is more than one page, you will see a page control bar as shown below. The current page number being viewed is shaded.
- Start: Click to go to the first page.
- Prev: Click to go to the previous page.
- Page numbers: Click to go to the desired page.
- Next: Click to go to the next page.
- End: Click to go to the last page.
At the top left you will see the toolbar.
The functions are:
- New. Opens the editing screen to create a new user group.
- Edit. Opens the editing screen for the selected user group. If more than one user group is selected (where applicable), only the first user group will be opened. The editing screen can also be opened by clicking on the Name of the user group.
- Delete. Deletes the selected user groups. Works with one or multiple user groups selected. If you delete a group that has users assigned to it, those users will lose the permissions they had from that group. It is recommended to remove all users from a group before you delete the group.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
- Options. Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters can be edited.
Click on the name of a group to edit the group's properties.