Components Web Links Manager Options
From Joomla! Documentation
Provides an method to apply global parameters to all weblinks menu items.
How to Access
On Web Links Manager: Web Links, click Options button at top.
Web Links Options configuration allows setting of parameters used globally for all web link menu items.
Click the Options button to open the Web Links Manager Options window which lets you configure this component.
Web Link Tab
These settings apply for single Web Links unless they are changed for a specific menu item or Web Link.
- Choose a layout. Default layout to use for articles.
- Enable Versions. (Yes/No). Whether or not to save version history for this component. If No, version history will not be saved for component items or for this component's categories.
- Maximum Versions. The maximum number of versions to store for an item. If an item is saved and the maximum number of versions has been reached, the oldest version will be deleted automatically. If set to 0, then versions will never be deleted automatically. Also, specific versions may be flagged as "Keep Forever" and will not be deleted automatically. Note that versions may be deleted manually using the Delete button in the Version History screen.
- Count Clicks. (No/Yes) If Yes, the number of times the link has been clicked will be recorded.
- Text/Icon/Web Link Only. Shows a text, icon, or nothing with the Web Link. Default is Icon.
- Select Icon. This allows you to select an image file to use as the default icon for web links. When you click on the Select button, a modal window opens that allows you to browse through the image files on your site.
- Image Float. (Right/Left/None). Where to display the image on the page.
- Show Tags. (Hide/Show). Hide or Show the feed's tags.
Category Options control how contacts will show when you drill down to a Category to view its contacts.
- Choose a layout. (Blog/List/user defined). This lets you select the default layout to show when you click on a Category link. If you create an alternative layout for a category layout, you may select that as the default.
- Category Title. (Hide/Show) Hide or Show the title of the category.
- Category Description. (Hide/Show) Hide or Show the description for the category.
- Category Image. (Hide/Show) Hide or Show the category image.
- Subcategory Levels. (None/All/1-5). Categories in Joomla can be created in a hierarchy. This lets you control how many levels of subcategories to show when showing a category view.
- Empty Categories. (Hide/Show) Hide or Show categories that don't contain any items or subcategories.
- Subcategories Descriptions. (Hide/Show) Hide or Show the descriptions for subcategories that are shown.
- # Web Links. Show or Hide the number of web links in each category.
- Show Tags. Show or Hide the tags for a single category.
These settings apply for Web Links Categories Options unless they are changed for a specific menu item.
- Top Level Category Description. (Hide/Show). Hide or Show the description of the top-level category.
- Subcategory Levels. (All/1-5). How many levels in the hierarchy to show.
- Empty Categories. (Hide/Show). Hide or Show categories that contain no items and no subcategories.
- Subcategories Descriptions. (Hide/Show). Hide or Show the description of each subcategory.
- # Web Links. Show or Hide the number of web links in each category.
List Layouts Tab
These settings apply for Contact List Options unless they are changed for a specific menu item.
- Filter Field. The Filter Field creates a text field where a user can enter a field to be used to filter the articles shown in the list. An example of how this looks in the front-end layout is shown below.
- The possible options for this (in the back-end menu item edit) are shown below.
- Hide: Don't show a filter field.
- Title: Filter on article title.
- Author: Filter on the author's name.
- Hits: Filter on the number of article hits.
- Display Select. (Hide/Show) Whether to hide or show the Display # control that allows the user to select the number of items to show in the list. An example is shown below.
- If there are more items than this number, you can use the page navigation buttons (Start, Prev, Next, End, and page numbers) to navigate between pages. Note that if you have a large number of items, it may be helpful to use the Filter options, located above the column headings, to limit which items display.
- Table Headings. (Hide/Show) Table Headings show a heading above the article list, as shown below.
- If set to Show, this heading will show about the list. Otherwise the list will show with no headings.
- Links description. (Hide/Show) Whether to hide or show the description of the web link.
- Hits. (Hide/Show) Whether to hide or show the number of times this web link has been accessed.
- Pagination. Hide or Show Pagination support. Pagination provides page links at the bottom of the page that allow the User to navigate to additional pages. These are needed if the listed items will not fit on one page. An example is shown below.
- The following options are available.
- Use Global: Use the default value from the component options screen.
- Auto: Pagination links shown if needed.
- Show: Pagination links shown if needed.
- Hide: Pagination links not shown. Note: In this case, Users will not be able to navigate to additional pages.
- Pagination Results. Hide or Show the current page number and total pages (e.g., "Page 1 of 2") at the bottom of each page. Use Global will use the default value from the component options.
These settings determine how the Contact Component will integrate with other extensions.
Show Feed Link. (Hide or Show) Show or hide the feed links URLs. A feed link will show up as a feed icon in the address bar of most browsers.
This section shows permissions for web links. The screen shows as follows.
To change the permissions for web links, do the following.
- Select the Group by clicking its title located on right.
- Find the desired Action. Possible Actions are:
- Configure. Users can access and change options in this options screen.
- Access Administrative Interface. Users can access the Web Links Manager screen.
- Create. Users can create this category.
- Delete. Users can delete this category.
- Edit. Users can edit this category.
- Edit State. User can change the published state and related information for this category.
- Edit Own. Users can edit own category created.
- Select the desired permission for the action you wish to change. Possible settings are:
- Inherited. Inherited for users in this Group from the Global Configuration, Web Links Manager Options, or Category permissions.
- Allowed. Allowed for users in this Group. Note that, if this action is Denied at one of the higher levels, the Allowed permission here will not take effect. A Denied setting cannot be overridden.
- Denied. Denied for users in this Group.
- Click Save in Toolbar at top. When the screen refreshes, the Calculated Setting column will show the effective permission for this Group and Action.
At the top left of the Web Links Manager Options window you will see the toolbar.
The functions are:
- Save: Saves the Web Links Manager options and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the Web Links Manager options and closes the current screen.
- Cancel. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
- If you are a beginning user, you can just keep the default values here until you learn more about using global options.
- If you are an advanced user, you can save time by creating good default values here. When you set up menu items and create web links, you will be able to accept the default values for most options.
- All values set here can be overridden at the menu item, category, or web link level.