Components Joomla Update
From Joomla! Documentation
This screen allows Joomla! to be updated quickly by downloading the current update package from the Joomla! code repository if there is an update. This setting is the default setting.
There are options for allowing what type of updates to look for, e.g. Long Term Support, Short Term Support, Testing, etc... This is accomplished by changing the update server choice. Changes to the update server:
- allows you to choose only a specific update with a version greater than the version of Joomla installed.
- from its default setting is for advanced users, such as developers, for testing and/or development.
- may stop notifications of updates containing security patches.
How to Access
- Select Components → Joomla! Update from the drop-down menu of the Joomla! Administrator Panel.
Configure where Joomla! gets its update information from
- Update server: (Default/Joomla! Next/Testing/Custom URL) This allows you to choose the update source for Joomla.
- Default: is the recommended setting to stay on the latest release (3.6.x currently - and when 3.7.x comes out it will become this). This ensures that you still receive all released updates.
- Testing: is used for testing Joomla! releases prior to their release as 'Stable'. With this setting nightly builds will be shown until a Beta or RC (Release Candidate) is available. It is recommended not to use on Production sites. Only use this setting on test sites.
- Custom URL: This setting allows a custom update server to be used. It is recommended not to use on Production sites. Only use this setting on test sites.
- Custom URL: This field is used to point to a custom XML update source URL, used only when the 'Update Server' option is set to 'Custom URL'.
Default permissions used for all content in this component.
- Configure ACL & Options: (Inherited/Allowed/Denied). Allow or deny Configure ACL & Options for users in the Public group. Configure ACL & Options allows users in the group to edit the options and ACL of this extension.
- Configure Options Only: (Inherited/Allowed/Denied). Allow or deny Configure Options for users in the Public group. Configure Allows users in the group to edit the options of this extension.
- Access Administration Interface: (Inherited/Allowed/Denied). Allow or deny Access Administration Interface for users in the Public group. Access Administration Interface Allows users in the group to access the administration interface for this extension.
- Delete: (Inherited/Allowed/Denied). Allow or deny Delete for users in the Public group. Delete Allows users in the group to delete any content in this extension.
- Edit State: (Inherited/Allowed/Denied). Allow or deny Edit State for users in the Public group. Edit State Allows users in the group to change the state of any content in this extension.
The functions are:
- Purge Cache. Empty the cache holding update notification. Useful after changing options of what standards/servers to use for Joomla! Update notifications.
- Options. Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters can be edited.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
Update Screen when on the latest version.
The update screen when an update is available.
- You can look at the Joomla! Update Quick Icons in the Backend Control Panel.